Locked programs in OS8.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Togglehead, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Togglehead macrumors 6502

When im trying to uninstall some programs....it tells me i cant becaus ethey are "locked"

i see a little lock icon on them too....how cute.....how the hell do i get rid of them.....

2. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Select file.

Command-i (for Get Info)

Uncheck the checkbox where it says "Locked"

Usually MacOS 8.6 will let you throw locked files and applications into the trash, it just won't let you empty the trash. If the OS is preventing you from moving the files at all, something else may be going on.

3. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

well...i can MOVE the files wherever i want...i just cant put them in the trash

interestingly enough...there is no option for "locked" when i get info....hmmm

This makes me think....do i have permissions? How does the user setup work on these things....there is a very minimal user interface in the control panel...but it never prompts me for a username or password.....in OS9 there is an "XP like" selection window that lets you choose a uuser...but this just boots me right in....maybe this user isnt the admin?

4. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

When I last saw something like this, the culprit was security software installed on the machine. The machine was from a school, and the computer lab teacher had to lock down the machines with this third-party security software to prevent the "bad apples" ;) of the class from trashing the machines.

This would only make sense if your computer came from a school or library or something. There aren't a lot of reasons to use this kind of software in other settings...

I bring it up because in your situation the normal "locked" checkbox does not appear on the Get Info dialog, which it how these programs worked.

5. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

There arn't permissions. There was "Multiple Users" although I thought that came out with 9.0--I could easily be wrong about that. Anyway, if it's installed, there should be a Multiple Users control panel. Although you'll need to be an administrator to change things. Also, I don't remember Multiple Users working in the way you describe. Again, I could easily be wrong--I haven't looked at this stuff in years.

6. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

oS 9 it def does...i have os9 on my PowerMac 8500/180 (what a dinosaur) and it behaves like this...buuuuut its newer, so youre probably right....=]

software huh...well the PO said it was used at his Job for the short time it WAS used....so that third party locking software sounds kinda likely.....but what? i think virex is on there but i think thats just a virus scan.....