Locking a folder or file

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DJMastaWes, Nov 12, 2006.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Hey everyone!

So, is there a way to lock a folder or a file or even an external Harddrive? So that a password is needed to get into it? If they're is software or something that will do this. I would prefer locking the whole external HardDrive, but a folder would be fine too.

I want to do this so no one goes into my harddrive and messes around with stuff, or deletes things.
    Any help would be great.

thanks.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Start "Disk Utility" in the utilities folder. Click on "New Image", and change Encryption from "None" to AES-128. This will create a disk image that needs a password for mounting; once it is mounted you can use it like any harddisk, but nobody can access it without the password.

I forgot: Someone could still go and delete the whole disk image. On the other hand, someone could also smash up your whole harddisk with a hammer, so there is not much difference there. Encryption protects you from anyone else reading things they shouldn't read. To protect against someone deleting the stuff, only backups work.

3. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Before I do this.. will t delete the current stuff on it?

and your last post... no one is going to do that, I just don't want anyone going in it and accidentally deleting something, because they don't know how to use a mac.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Then you could just lock it. Choose file or folder, hit cmd-I (File -> Get Info) and check the Locked checkbox (under General).

5. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Yeah, but I also don't want people reading my stuff.

Also, when I tried doing that with a folder, it unched itself.

Anyway, that's not what I really want.

Is what I'm asking for not in existent? If so, hopefully 10.5 will solve that.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Then combine the two methods... ;)

Also, if you use an encrypted sparseimage, instead of a regular diskimage, it will only use the space of whatever it contains (plus a bit for overhead), and not - like a diskimage - the full capacity...

7. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I'm not quiet sure how a disk image works...

and again, will I lose all my files that are on the External HD?
    Also, so I make the the diskimage on 232.9 GB WDC WD2500... or on LACIE HD.