Locking changes in System Prefrences

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tech4all, Aug 23, 2004.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You know how you can click the lock in System Preferences to prevent anyone from changing a setting? Well I lock the lock and when I turn the computer on again and go back to System Preferences, the lock is unlocked?! How do you keep the lock, locked? :mad: :confused:

2. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Is you are listed as an administrator, there is no way to keep the lock locked. It will only display 'locked' to non-admin users, so they don't go around and play with your settings.

Hope this helps.

3. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am the adminstrator. Now that would make sense. So basically I can prevent other 'non-admins' from changing their settings if I lock them on their account? At my college on the student account, some of the areas in System Prefrences are grayed out preventing from a student from even accessing the section (such as Accounts and Network Settings). Is that because of the locking feature? So basically if I lock a feature in another account, does it simply gray out or restrict access to that area all together (the way my school has it) or does it allow you view the areas but not change any settings? Hope that make sense :D

4. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

No, it shows the padlock as 'locked' and has the functions grayed out. It does allow access to the areas, and also the viewing of the areas that are grayed out though. The default for non admin. accounts are locked padlock, and then they need your or any other admin. accounts to make any changes.

Hope this helps