Locking down the internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by poppe, Dec 6, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello everyone,

I'm a student and me and my friend are sharing the internet. He and I split the bill the problem is is that he is on 24/7 stream videos off of myspace. Is there a way that I can bottleneck his usage of internet? I have a draft N d-Link wireless router. I know it seems mean but I am not being able to stream anything once and awhile. Even my internet getting to macrumors is slow... What is you advice? Or should I just kick him to the curb and tell him to pay for his own seperate line/service?

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think the best way is to talk to him, even if you managed to get that set up (possible complicated steps ahead), how is he going to react if he found out you bottle-necked his bandwidth? If he still need to do all those streaming, I think both of you would be able to come up with something.

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

No because he has that pompous attitude of where he pretends to be all friendly and nice and makes you feel like an ******* for asking of him to not be like this. It's hard to explain how he is... But it's not worth it... I'm tired of having to be his mother... He doesn't even take the toilet rolls (once used) out of the bathroom. 4 brown toilet rolls just sitting in the bathroom because you have to tell him to do something before he will. Oh I also can't talk with him to not be selfish because he has the flew... though it doesn't change the way he is (sit's in bed around 20 hours a day unless he has class then he is in bed for only 19)... (sorry its my rant)...

I dont want to limit him to 1 mb/s or what ever... It's just that I got the 8mb/s version because I thought that would be sufficient... However I keep ending up with the short end of the download speed...

4. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I'd go for independent lines... I have no idea how you eat up 8Mbit of bandwidth (are you sure it's his usage and not another problem somewhere?) but it sounds like sharing the bill isn't working. If you don't want to make a confrontation out of it, simply say that *you* need more bandwidth and the best way to do that is to bring in another line rather than saying he's being a pig.

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

put your routor in the car when you go to class....

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i'd tell the guy to get his own line.

and i'd also tell him not to use the bathroom until he learns to clean it too. and then i'd lock it.

seriously. just don't let him detract you from what you need to say - he's being selfish, unfair, and a pain in the ass, to name but a few. and that has to change.

7. seanf macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, rate limiting is beyond the capabilities of a home router. You either need to talk to him or tell him to get his own line.

Sean :)

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Crap sounds like that will have to do.

He keeps telling me he's moving out... Then I will have a clean bathroom again...

HaHa that'd be awesome!

Well this is how. I'm watching Slinbox stuff, and doing Macrumors/trying to start my production company up (research).

He is doing myspace (which is always on, how lame), Streaming the simpsons on youtube, and downloading via bitorrent prison break.

And sadly his usage keeps freezing my slingbox to under 100kbps stream and Macrumors taking a 20 seconds to load...

I guess I should just talk to him about everything because there is a lot more problems... and I can't switch roommates because these dorms are screwed up and it cost $150 to switch if you are having problems unless its something super serious...

Don't know what to do because he just has his ways about being selfish and making you feel bad for saying this about it...
    Funny though his friend he came over to America with well him and that friend were supposed to move in together, but he has learned how he is and now won't move in with him.

9. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Bittorrent is whats killing the connection. Tell him to cap his download/upload to around 200KBps/50KBps. The upload is very important. I've noticed that on my DSL line, if the upload is saturated (100% usage), then the download suffers greatly and it feels like dialup.

10. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

I agree it's the torret that's killing it... speaking from personal experience:eek:

11. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Alright cool I'll get on his ass for it then. I just wish I didn't have to baby sit him like this... oh well thats just my pride talking...

12. baummer macrumors 6502a

First and foremost, as you both agreed to pay the cost; you pay half, he pays half, he has every right to use the service he is paying for. Now granted, you're not getting full usage. So, a couple of things. Are you POSITIVE there isn't a problem somewhere with connections? To isolate this, tell him there are issues with the internet and you need him to shut all apps accessing the internet down. Bittorrent, AIM, browsers, etc. Then do a test and see if your system is snappier on the net. If it isn't, then you know there's a line problem somewhere. Secondly, are you sure you're getting an 8Mbit line, because even if he is doing all of that, you should still be able to do things quite quickly.

However, based on what I've read, I would say its safe to say its the torrent that's knocking the speed.