locking files or folders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by excalibur313, Oct 29, 2003.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2003
    Cambridge, MA
    Does anyone know how to lock a file or folder so that it requires a password to access? Additionally how would I go about doing it on a pc?
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    there is a simple app called LameSecure you can get from versiontracker. it requires a password, but as the name suggests it is very lame. :p for anyone who knows what they're doing with Terminal i think it would be easy to bypass the password. but it's good for keeping stuff from, say, a younger brother. :D

i'm not sure how you'd do that on a PC, but i guess there would be apps for that as well.

additionally if you want to password protect files you can also make a disk image, and put a password on that. in Jaguar you can use Disk Copy (the app that mounts .dmg files) and in Panther i think you can use Disk Utility. you can make a new disk image that is read & write as well, and you can also change the size of the disk image later on. i've found this to be one of the best ways of putting a password on files.
  3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    You could change the permissions so that only you have access.