Locking files;

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Fabrix2003, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Fabrix2003 macrumors regular

Just wondering how do you lock files i go into get info and try to tick locked, but it aint highlighted, what needs to be done? :confused:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, are you using Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X? This distinction, although it may not seem important to you, makes a large difference in how you solve the problem.

If you're in Mac OS 9: Is the file currently in a directory that is being shared with other users? Mac OS 9 won't let you lock a shared file.

If you're in Mac OS X: Check your permissions on the file, also in the Get Info dialog. If you can't write to the file, odds are you can't lock it either.

3. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

If you're using Mac OS X, you must be the owner of the file to lock it.

4. Fabrix2003 thread starter macrumors regular

I am the owner but still doesnt seem to wanna lock it. i bought this laptop so im the admin on it.

5. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Owner of the machine and owner of the file are different. In the Ownership and permissions section of the Get Info window, click on Details, click the padlock icon if it is locked (may require an admin password), and change the owner to yourself (the current user). This should allow you to lock the file.