Locking Folders

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Jun 25, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

How do you put locks on folders? I want to lock as much of my computer as possible because i don't want my roomates trying to touch myh computer. So the more codes and locks i out, the safer my stuff. I want to code locks on almost all my folders on the desktop, and i want to set my computer so that you have to enter a code to gain access to the desktop. Can anyone help me out?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

does he use your account? if not, put a lock on the screensaver and/or log out. if he needs the machine, give him his own account. for your Documents folder, use 'Get Info', go to the Permissions section, and set No Access for everyone but you.

if you let him use your account, well, don't. w/ Panther's user switching, there's no reason to share accounts.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

btw, if it's not clear -- everything that's personal should be located w/in your home directory. i.e. if you have anything that's "yours" sitting off of Macintosh HD, that's not where it belongs and it'll be accessible.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Careful now. You can put files/folders anywhere (well almost) you want and control them with file permissions.

With that said. Just create a user account your roomy can use.

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

No way in hell am i going to let my roomate use my PB. He has his own laptop and treats it like ****. Theres not way i'm letting him use mine, and now he's jealous that my computer is way nicer then his, which makes him want to use it even more. I really just want to set a lock so you have to eter a code to gain access to the desktop. So in other words, as soon as the computer boots up it will ask your for a password to procede.

6. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

Just to to System Prefs > Accounts > Click on "Login Options" under your account name > UNcheck "auto login as : "YOUR NAME HERE".

That will prompt you for your passward at startup.

7. silentrage macrumors member

Create a login for your self. That way no one can get access to your items unless they are logged in as you. I have one for myself and guests. That way no one can access my files or make changes to the desktop, programs, etc (becuase I limited the permissions for guest login).