Locking your screen in Mac OS X 10.4.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spario, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Spario macrumors newbie

hey everyone, i would like to know how i would be able to lock my screen in mac os x Tiger- without having to use the standard ask for password when comp is woken-up or out of screen saver. i would like to have the computer lock the screen but continue to run as it would. Any ideas or queastions please let me know! thanks ~Spario

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you enable fast user switching in the Accounts preferences, putting up a login window is one of the options that will be enabled. Does that do what you want, or did you have something different in mind?

3. Spario thread starter macrumors newbie

i would like to have it in a mode were the screen could not be accessed, though, my account is still longed on and the computer is still processing info. in other words my harddrive doesnt lock up as well, as it would when i close my powerbook. i would use this in case i need to step away from my computer and don't want anyone to have access to it while i'm gone. i'm well aware of MAC OS X's 'require password to wake this computer up from sleep or screen saver' option, but i want someting different. i don't want to but my comp to sleep or have a screen saver come on either. i hope someone knows of something. thanks for the help!~spario

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

When the screen saver comes on, your computer is still active. Nothing stops. When you switch accounts without logging off, you computer is still active. Either one of these solves your problem (unless there is something you forgot to mention).

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Out of curiosity, is there something wrong with using the password protcted screen saver? You can turn it on whenever you want.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

MacRabbit's DeskShade

It has a bunch of other features (related to desktop picture switching, etc), however, I only use it for the "cover desktop" and "lock computer" functions. It's a great program. It may not do exactly what you're looking for, but it's definitly worth checking out to see how close it comes.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Spario, what exactly is wrong with this option? If you enable fast user switching, you will have an option to go to the Login screen without logging out...I do this all the time.

See http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/fastuserswitching/

8. Spario thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, MacRabbit's DeskShade was just what i was looking for. this is a great program! thanks michaelrjohnson. And to answer kingjr3's question there's nothin wrong with that feature, in fact it may work well for others. I just don't like it. thanks again~Spario

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Not as secure as you think....

You should still use a login password if you don't have one. If you lock the screen with DeskShade, all that a person needs to do is hold down the power button on your computer to force a shutdown and reboot it...If you have autologin or no password, then they have access...

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

just a word of warning about DeskShade...

i've used it in the past to lock my desktop, and the "hacker log" is a great idea as well. :)

but sometimes it can jam up, very easily. i once had alot of stuff open, and then just went to test the lock desktop function, and an app popped up a window. i couldn't click it of course, but i couldn't get back to unlock the desktop either. but that was a while ago... it may be better now.

also - i just use the screensaver to lock my desktop. i use the Dim screensaver so it doesn't waste CPU time, and leave all my apps open and running while i'm away. i suppose you could also make some screensaver in Quartz Composer that doesn't even change the screen at all... that way when you activate the screensaver, it'll appear to have no visible affect on the screen... hrm... now there's an idea. :D i'll have to get fiddling on that one...

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Open Keychain. Applications/Utilities. There is a preference to display a menulet (those things up at the top right, like the clock, sound, airport, etc.) One of the options on it is to lock the screen!

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

A low-tech solution is to simply dim down your screen all the way. Yeah, someone could figure it out and access your computer, but they'd have to really be interested in doing that, and obvious about it.