Lockscreen 2.0 Concept

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chrisvanhorn, Jun 13, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

I'm a very avid reader of the forum but never really post. I was somewhat thrown off by the release of iOS 7 (Beta 1) the other day; it was partly the homescreen icon designs. This seems to be a major complaint amongst different parts of the Internet. I've tried adjusting to it on my iPhone over the last couple days, but so far I'm not convinced.

I'm certainly not convinced of the new lockscreen. It presents the user the classic 'slide to unlock' phrase, but it lacks the old design element. It feels awkward, looks weird, and guess what? The arrow directly underneath it had me convinced they went so far as to change the direction of the gesture when I first booted. I know I'm not the only one this happened to. :rolleyes:

I think this is definitely something that needs to be addressed before GM release, and I've worked up a mockup replacement:

- The "transclucent" effect on the Notification Center & Control Center are due to their transparent nature, and vise versa for Unlock & Camera.

- The icons used to Notification Center & Control Center are identical to the ones used inside the Settings app.

- Camera... why is the only option Camera? It's already accessible through Control Center along with toggles, share buttons, and three other 'utility' apps [flashlight, clock, and calculator]. This Camera-slider should have the ability to launch Twitter, Vine, Music, etc.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Great concept! Though if Apple ever does this. Android users will be like

[​IMG]

"THIS IS STOLEN OF ANDROID. ITS FAKE....AND GAY."

3. macrumors member

Bonestle

That's quite nice. I would not object if this headed to our iDevices.

4. macrumors 6502

I like the concept of it, but maybe not necessarily the execution. Another thing about the "Camera slider" on the home screen. I'm not so sure everybody understands the point of it. When Apple first announced it, they said that you could use it with or without a lock code. The whole point of it, is not just for quick access to your camera, but even quicker access because of the lack of need to input your passcode. Having the ability to add other apps instead of the camera defeats the whole purpose.

5. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The camera slider is super convenient and I used it frequently. But on one day on my way to work I suddenly felt that the phone got warm inside my trousers' pocket.. took it out and found that the camera slider was activated and it took tens of photos inside the pocket and used several % of battery and GPS was turned on due to geotagging.

6. macrumors 6502

I'm super confused now. When did I say that it is not convenient? I use it all the time. I'm saying the point of it is that it speeds up the time in which you need to take to pull up the camera and anybody can use it/ even with a lock on your phone because taking photos doesn't harm the phone in anyway (A random stranger can take your phone and take pictures, even whilst not knowing your passcode, but they will not be able to gain access otherwise). Having another app/ being able to change what you want to be there is going to be able to grant people access to your phone/ that specific app/ feature.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

I certainly understand the underlying concept of having quick access to your camera, but why not quick access to other apps? If a user doesn't have a passcode lock then it loads the application from that slider, and if they do, it simply presents them with the passcode lock.

8. macrumors 65816

I love your mockup..great job.

As for the Camera icon, that was added to help those who use their iPhone as their most commonly used camera. A typical use case is a parent trying to get a quick pic of their child doing something cute. Unlocking, finding camera app and launching it was a pain.

Yes, Camera is in CC but that still requires a swipe up, then a tap. Having camera right here saves a step.

9. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Egh, it just looks like a generic NokiWinDroidWiz airy-fairy floaty-transluscenty lock screen. I don't like it, and I don't like the actual iOS 7 lockscreen much either. It doesn't look like iOS.

10. macrumors newbie

The point of this is what, exactly? Does it serve any tangible purpose? No.

11. macrumors newbie

It seems Apple got impressed by Windows, Android OS in phones. Many features are included in iOS7 which is merely inspired by other competitive OS.

12. thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

Did you even read my post beyond looking at the picture? There is most certainly a point to this.

The 'Slide to Unlock' phrase no longer sits comfortably on the lockscreen as it is in Beta 1. This is just a concept of what the lockscreen (more specifically, the slide to unlock & camera element) could be based on the already present arrows for Notification Center & Control Center.

----------

Thank you for your intensely constructive and helpful input. Your idea sounds a lot better. :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I love it. :apple:

14. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Looks nice.

15. macrumors newbie

Yes.

...then make a point. You certainly didn't in your first post.

I'm not sure why you believe a "concept" you suggest in a thread on this forum will have any impact on how this OS progresses. First of all, they already have a forum for that. Secondly, a mashup of what YOU personally think it should be really has no bearing on the development of their product. All you really did was create a pretty little picture for yourself to show off to others that serves no real purpose beyond that. It seems you are trying to be something you are not, which is involved in the development process.

16. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Thanks Tim Cook, I'm glad you liked it.

17. macrumors 6502

Love the look of this. Good job and would welcome it.

18. thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

You sound pretty upset.

This is a forum for the discussion of things related to iOS 7, and my concept is meant to spark discussion (this is a forum afterall). I don't expect a phone call from Apple tomorrow.

I very clearly presented the reason behind the concept in my post. I'm sorry I made it so complicated for you to find. I hope everything is okay man! You sure sound like you're having a rough day.

19. macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Too busy.

20. thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

Is it the presence of the 4 icons? I felt there wasn't enough of a cue as to what each arrow's function actually was, but originally had planned on only including areas for each of the 4 gestures.

21. macrumors newbie

So basically...you don't have a point. If you did, you would have made it by now. Got it. You created a silly little mockup that serves no purpose beyond showing others that you can. Good for you! You've come a long way from your days at LOLCats: http://www.lolcats.com/featured/51789-iz-likin-myself-on-lolcatscom.html

Those who can, do. Those who cannot...create threads like this one.

22. thread starter macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

Trolls will be trolls.

23. macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Yes, it feels like I'm being cornered by icons.

I'm not sure a lock screen needs so much functionality, or at least so many visual cues.

24. macrumors 65816

there ought to be a quick phone access like there is for the camera. I can already see that as part of ios8....

25. macrumors newbie

Once again, you've proven that you have no point to be made. :D