Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBlue, Dec 2, 2005.

1. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

help please!

i have searched for this repeatedly (with no applicable solutions) and have asked a few questions in other peoples threads about this, no answer. now i am having a genuine problem, i'm royally pissed off and need help. no to mention typing this on my XP machine is a pride swallowing and frustrating endeavor. [grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr] now that THAT is out...

summary:

this is a rev C - 17" powerbook G4 running Panther (10.3)

events:
    i notice in my activity monitor that my log in window is hung - this only seems to bother the system when i need to shut down.
    then by (i think) coincidence something (weeks later) causes almost all of my applications to hang and they need force quitting.
    i try to reboot. it won't. it just sits there.
    i have to force shut down. it does.
    it won't boot back up - it sits on the last step, the "starting log in window" and goes no further.
    here is where i am at, again. :rolleyes:

i have had my log in window "hang" (crash, whatever you want to call it) twice now. from my limited knowledge of macs this seems a near unrecoverable problem... at least not without a MASSIVE pain in the ass to get it booted.

first time i had to use the system restore disc to get it to boot up. it would sit there at the log in window starting page and never move past it. (doing this again) i am sure i don't need to explain what a horrible hassle it is to restore your damn operating system when your computer crashes. :mad: i know no other way though.

i have done nothing strange (that i know of) to cause this problem, it seems random. either way i have seen the log in window hang in the activity monitor click for screenshot taken weeks ago and had a bad feeling i would be dealing with this again. back when i saw the log in window hung (a couple weeks ago) i ran OnyX but didn't reboot because i was afraid this would happen. sure enough, something caused my applications to crash and i was forced to reboot. now i just can't boot it back up.

any ideas? i'm completely at a loss here and desperate for some info on what to do. :confused:
    thanks.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you tried the easy one: Repairing permissions?

Also, find the file ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systemuiserver.<gibberish>.plist (where ~/ is your users home folder) and trash that, and reboot.

<Removed because of stupidity>

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have a different take on fixing/dealing with it:

I would boot in Single User Mode, mount the drive as writable, and move /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist to another name.. say com.apple.loginwindow.plist.BAK, then reboot.

4. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

thank you for the prompt response.

i haven't gotten it running yet because it won't actually get to the log in window, it sits there (blank light blue screen background) at the progress bar stating "starting log in window" - but it never does.
    i am hoping i don't need to reload the operating system again just to turn the thing on. that takes about 20 minutes, the restore. i guess i'm just hoping there is an easier way. :confused:
    i can do that though, if there isn't another way.

i did use the repair permissions when i ran OnyX - no change. but like i said, i was scared to reboot because the log in window was still hung at the time. here weeks later when i was forced to reboot the problem just didn't correct itself the way i had hoped :p dang!

what does deleting that file do by the way?

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not necessarily, although I forgot to say anything about single user mode... nice catch.

I would also get rid of both preference files, just in case... ;)

Some times the preference files get corrupted, and when that happens the application (or process) that owns that plist file can crash, hang or generally misbehave... ;)

Deleting it will (often) fix this.

It's a bit tricky from commandline (like Terminal) but if you get into single user mode, I'm sure we can guide you through it... :)

6. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

not sure what that means (sorry :eek: ) but i'm willing to try. i can't get it to boot at the moment though. unless i hear another way i only know to put in the restore disc and get it on that way. :confused:

i really appreciate your help though, very much.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

wait isn't SystemUIserver the top right bar where all the icons are?

It is, i just tested it by killing that process and restarting it.

You have something up in there causing it to hang.

It isn't really the login window server i believe but some startup program in your UIserver that is crashing

First remove all 3rd party programs from that UIserver, and from startup

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

EDIT: Re-read the original thread.. I'll hold off posting prompts until the LOGOUT issue is dealt with first.

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

also from looking at your screenshot is Gmailstatus something that goes into that icon bin at the top right?

If it is i notice it was taking 67% of your CPU during screenshot, which is probably not good and possibly causing computer to hang

10. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

i have Gmail status and Meteo (a weather thing) there. i wonder why it would take down the whole log in process though. it's weird that the application itself doesn't just freak out, i mean why my log in window? really weird.

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Kill Gmail status boot into single user mode and get rid of it, it had 67% CPU and 487 threads. That is bad really bad.

I think that will fix everything

12. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

this is going to sound incredibly stupid (teminology is going over my head) how am i to boot in single user mode? is all of this assuming i restore the operating system? (this is the ONLY way i currently know how to get it to go past that log in issue) the powerbook is off and won't load because it sticks at "starting log in window" and won't proceed)

:eek:

P.S. i will ditch gmail status though as soon as the PB is running again, gmail status is a piece of crap

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

14. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Reboot, hold down Cmd-S

AT the prompt type:

mount -uw /

then

cd /Library/Preferences

then

mv com.apple.loginwindow.plist com.apple.loginwindow.plist.BAK

then

reboot

Does it reboot normally? If not, you should reboot (again) and hold down Cmd-V to boot in verbose mode so you can (hopefully) see where it dies.

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I hope it works, good luck. Don't use Gmail Status anymore :p

Make sure you remove it from startup

17. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

damn, no cigar. still stuck at log in window starting

yellow: i did exactly as you wrote too.

dang this is frustrating

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

did you remove gmail status?

if you did....then hmmm interesting

boot into verbose mode. Did the computer boot fully into single user mode?

19. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

no i can't get in there AT ALL. it will not move past that "log in window starting" progress thing.

i tried singel user mode with the commands yellow suggested and it did the same thing (stuck at log in)

verbose threw so much text out so fast i could not read a bit of it (other than "no login" which i noticed right away) then it just sat at a blue screen and did nothing at all. i had to force it off again, when i hit the power button to tell it to "shut down" it then gave me a blank black screen with a white square in the upper left corner. so i held the power button down for 5 seconds to force it off.
    it's truly bizarre

i tried (in vain) after that to boot normally and same thing)

i guess i can just do the damn restore and throw that gmail status thing as far away as possible.

crickey, macs seldom have problems but when they do (or when mine do) it is just a nightmare. ugh

i can't tell you all how much i appreciate your help though. it's embarrassing but i'm always willing to sacrifice pride when it comes to making sure my mac is running. :p

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Mine did this once (my iBook) when I didn't detatch from a network drive (correctly) before putting my computer to sleep. In my case zapping the Parameter ram fixed the issue with my system not booting.

It is worth a shot.

Reboot.. After the chime press and hold Command(Apple)+Option+P+R until you hear the apple chime again.

It may not fix your issue, but it is quick, and worth a shot.

HTH

22. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

i don't even know what to do - i am beyond furious. i want to throw that overpriced piece of crap into the snow! it won't do a damn thing! after an hour of trying to update the OS to get the friggin thing to just boot up, it now hangs on "waiting for update settings". i am SO sick of this... i just want the <insert massive swearing> thing to BOOT UP! is that so much to ask?! god this pisses me off!

sorry, i really needed to vent. i might need to set it aside for the night because i am so pissed i want to smash it to bits.

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Go beat the crap out of a newbie, it'll make you feel better. :p :eek:

24. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

HAHA thanks, this post alone made me feel better - SWEET! [​IMG]

25. yenko macrumors 6502a

Use the system restore disk to run disk utility: don't use it to re-install.
    Run repair disk from your install CD/DVD and reboot after you've finished.
    Don't repair permissions from the installer disk!