log me in?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Mar 17, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

There is this amazing site, called Logmeinpro.com, that offers free software so you can take control of your computers, and then access them over the web without installing the program on the other computer.. Is there anything available like this for the mac? Im pretty sure i can view the windows computer through the mac, so is there anything like this that will let me take control of my mac through a pc?

2. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

The thing is, you are installing a program on the other computer. You're installing an Active X control in IE, which is essentially a program. That's the reason this, and similar things won't work on Macs, because there's no Active X.

You can use a Mac to view a PC with logmein, but you have to use HTML mode, which is really screen captures, and you're clicking, it's doing the click, then making you another screen capture...=very slow and unproductive.

Look into VNC as a better solution.

4. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

YES you should be able to do it.

How you ask? Well, they recently released a plugin for firefox (eliminating the need for Active X) I know because I have log me in pro and use it under firefox and windows, so I see no reason why it shouldnt work in OS X :D

Hope this helps!

(btw you can get firefox for all platforms at http://www.getfirefox.com/)

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Woops! I haven't paid for logmein in about a year, so I guess I've missed the new plugin. Maybe I'll have to sign up again and play with that.