Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2015
South Jersey
System:
Early 2013 15" rMBP running Yosemite and latest iTunes.
2 week old Transcend Jet Drive 480Gb SSD. Installed with fresh install of Yosemite and then migrated settings from original SSD.

Scenario:
Playing Christmas music playlist using iTunes to multiple Airport Express units connected to several speakers, for several hours.

Concern:
After 1 to 3 hours, not sure exactly, of music playing the music would suddenly stop. When I checked the laptop the user log on screen was displayed indicating that the laptop had shut off and restarted or logged off and logged back on.
This happened once on battery power and once on AC power.

Could this be caused by:
Power saver settings? I didn't think laptop would go to sleep with an app actively doing something like iTunes playing music. Settings are for screen off at 15 min and sleep mode after 1 hr, maybe 2.

iTunes glitch? I use iTunes a lot but this is probably the longest single sessions in a long time.

Other glitch not associated with iTunes or Power Saver settings? Probably had Safari, Mail and maybe a few other apps running at the same time.

I've been using the rMBP all morning, about 5 hrs total, without closing the lid or letting it sit more than 10 minutes at a time when taking short breaks.

Any ideas, should I been concerned or does the sleep mode override iTunes playing music?

Thanks
Ward

PS: Found a thread that pointed me to Preferences/Security & Privacy/ Advanced and saw that I was set for system to log off after 60 minutes of inactivity. Maybe iTunes playing music is not considered activity? Thread starter reported that solved their problem so I changed my log off time to 240 minutes and will give it a try.

PSS: I think that was it. iTunes played for almost 4 hours, I then clicked the touch pad and it continued playing for another 2 hours.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.