logging aim conversations (not mine)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fowler., Mar 7, 2007.

1. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I know Windows has a few programs that can log aim conversations that are taking place on a network.

Is there anything like that for OSX?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

There are, they are very hard to use, and I can think of about zero legitimate reasons to do this. Depending what network you are on, this could be illegal as it is an invasion of privacy.

3. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

well i'm glad you can find no fault with the idea :p

do you have any references to said apps?

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm pretty sure you meant "zero legitimate".

I didn't even know this was possible. Although I suppose it could be useful if you're concerned about something your kids are doing.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I read my daughter's IM transcripts quite often. iChat saves them for me, and she knows better than to try to mess with the Preferences.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

For reading IMs over a network with a Mac, I'd think you might need a packet sniffer of some kind. That is to say I don't know of a program that'll do this specifically, and unless these are your kids, I feel like this a questionably legal area.

7. RMD68 macrumors 6502

Adium logs all the chats that any users on one computer. This won't however log people on other computers. Like other posters said…unless you are logging your kids on the family computer receiving logs of private conversations would most likely be a illegal as an invasion of privacy.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Ethereal.

You need fink, though. And you need to set up various capture filters. And you gotta be lucky with your network setup.

That's all the help you're going to get out of me on it, aside from this: I've done it. And it isn't worth the effort.

9. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Doesn't iChat encrypt its conversations?
    Or am I way off.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

iChat CAN encrypt them. Your choice. Default is to not. You need a security certificate on both people's computers, and as most people are not technical enough to make and install one... you get the idea.