Logic 9.1.4 Compatibility with OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by PRPS, Jul 20, 2011.

1. macrumors member

PRPS

i'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with running Logic 9 on Mac OSX Lion.

According to http://roaringapps.com/apps:table Logic 9.1.4 still has issues when using Lion.

I'm not switching over till i know for sure if Logic 9.1.4 is fully compatible with Lion

:apple:

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm jumping on board here because I too want to know and have yet to see much about it that tells me it is fully compatible.

3. thread starter macrumors member

PRPS

exactly. This is the deal breaker on me upgrading to Lion..lol :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68000

musio

Summer NAMM tomorrow....will logic x drop?

I've subscribed to this as i'm not updating unless it works.

5. macrumors newbie

Logic Pro 8

I can tell you that Logic 8 is not working at all with Lion. I also feel like there won't be any updates to change this. Although I do not see why it should break such a relatively recent Apple application.

I'm not sure now whether to upgrade to 9 or go back down to SL and wait for X ... Since I'm a poor student I think it will have to be the latter ;-(

6. PRPS, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

thread starter macrumors member

PRPS

oh wow...i didn't know that. Logic just had a recent update so it's hard to believe they will come out with Logic X this week. Hopefully i'm wrong though hahaha :apple:

Edit: just looked and Apple doesn't have a booth there :/

7. thread starter macrumors member

PRPS

some new comments dealing with this topic http://roaringapps.com/app:159

looks like Apogee's website just put up a download for those updating to lion for the apogee duet 2

8. thread starter macrumors member

PRPS

9. macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Logic 9 and 9.1 have never been compelling versions to justify upgrading from Logic 8, but 8 wont open at all in Lion. :mad:

10. macrumors 68040

xgman

It's a mixed bag of 9.1.4 and Lion. Most of the problems are plugin related and of those most are 64 bit problems. That said, I get the feeling from using it now that Logic does need a compatibility update to better handle coreaudio problems with 3rd party drivers and wonky plugins. In other words something other than crashing out constantly. best advice is to work in 32 bit mode until things get sorted out. Oh, and check for audio interface driver updates. many don't work at the moment.

11. thread starter macrumors member

PRPS

12. thread starter macrumors member

PRPS

Mac OS X Lion Compatibility Information (UPDATED 7/21/2011)

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/detail.php?Index=33622

13. macrumors regular

Logic 9.1.4 and Lion

I'm not having any issues here running Lion, Logic 9.1.4, Waves, izotope, EZ Drummer and Native Instrument Plugs.

The first time I ran Logic after the upgrade It did take about 5 minutes to rescan all the AU plugs I use.

14. macrumors 6502

Logic Studio is running fine on my system. EWQL Play V3.00 also works well.

15. macrumors newbie

Logic pro 8 will work, but.....

you can use logic pro 8 in osx lion:

1. go to your logic pro application in finder

2. right click and choose 'show package contents"

3. contents -> macOS -> logic pro

Thx go to jaredr for this post on another thread.

The fact that it works this way, shows this is simply APPLE trying to force us to upgrade to 9. Come on guys, i hear you have 96 billion cash flow, don't be so greedy???

Also my Edirol UA-4fx isn't working because the driver isn't up to date now. So no speakers in the studio until this is resolved.

Lesson... don't buy until you know its gonna work!!!

16. macrumors newbie

Hopeless

I'm rolling back to Snow Leopeard:

- Logic 9 now can't see my TC Electronic Konnekt 24D sound card
    - TC Electronic Soundcard control panel won't load
    - SSL Duende Plugins won't load
    - Whole system seems less responsive than before

System is i3 iMac...there really shouldn't be any issues.

Apple should not release stuff that only half works for professionals.

(I should probably also have not got over excited and installed it before checking everything would work probably, but there you go)

17. macrumors newbie

Did I miss something? I can't believe after all the research and preparations that I did (downloaded compatible drivers, contingency plans, docs handy etc) prior to rolling out Lion, I have found that it is NOT working with Logic 9.1.4.

Has anybody else seen this? This is a serious issue for Logic Studio users as it has been advertised that it would be compatible. The machine I am having trouble with is a 2008 Macbook with 4 gigs, going from 10.6.8 (all software updates were installed, disk verified, etc before install) and I am getting the same exact error msg other people have reported here with 8.0.

Again, this is with 9.1.4!

I can only hope 9.1.5 is coming out in a matter of hours. Fingers are crossed. Thing that I don't understand is how some people ARE able to launch it? This indicates something with the hardware I would assume... perhaps an audio driver? I was using the onboard sound BTW.

18. macrumors 68000

musio

As logic is made by apple, I'm shocked ad saddened they neglected it's audio users by not releasing a stable update or even logic X by now. Apple gave it's video users even a preview months ago, not to mention a stable FCX.

Lots of friends reporting buggy logic with lion. I'm staying on SL for now

19. macrumors newbie

I'm using Logic 9.1.4 with no, as in zero, issues, in a semi-pro environment, in Lion. The Apogee beta 4 drivers for my Symphony I/O are giving me no grief, either - though the Duet (firewire) I have does, so for the moment I'm lugging the I/O back and forth.

What issues are the guys who are having issues having?

20. macrumors regular

I am not having the issues you are. However I did somethings different.
    One I opened Logic in 32 bit mode and scanned all the AU plugs.
    Then I closed and reopened Logic in 64bit mode and rescanned all the AU plugs.

But if I was still having problems I would run Logic in 32 bit mode until the release the fixes.

Or just concede that Lion isn't ready and roll back to Snow and live with it for a few months. Seriously if you are in a pro environment and have to up and working it is a terrible idea to be a early adoptee of anything. Just sayin ya know...

21. macrumors newbie

Ah, there's the rub - I only have 4gb of RAM in my MBP, so I always run it in 32 bit mode. Dead stable - actually, slightly more stable than under SL, in my experience.

Why are you running in 64? Honestly, there's not much that takes advantage of it, and the few times I experimented with it I encountered memory management issues galore.

22. macrumors regular

More plugins! And I have a lot of Ram that I want to use!<g>

Seriously the only advantage is the access to larger ram blocks for my synths and sampler that need it.

23. macrumors newbie

That is understandable - I rarely use soft synths or sequenced samplers. I pretty much do straight audio - and I've had no issues. Haven't tried out Node yet, though - which is something I do use, on complicated mixes...

24. macrumors 68000

Logic 9.1.4 works on Lion OS X. All my plugins are working so far.

I haven't tested my Access Virus TI yet, because i have it connected to my desktop computer atm which is a PC.

25. macrumors G5

Macman45

Only Issue I Had

Was searching old archived drivers and apps for my Roland BR 900 CD. I found them and all works well in Cubase, although I'm thinking about Logic pro.