Logic Board

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dcoltonbrown, Aug 22, 2003.

1. dcoltonbrown macrumors member

No one wants to admit it, but it seems as if the iBook logic board issue is bigger than everyone wants to admit. You guys are the "Apple" experts...please tell me what you think Apple is going to do about this problem if anything.

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Logic Board

Don't have an iBook. Tell me what the problem is.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Have you ever seen the movie fight club? they have a scene where he explains that the number of vehciles in the field times the aveage out of court settlement times the percentage faulire, if they get that number and its cheaper than a recall and actually fixing the problem then they just deal with it on a case by case (ie. repairs) so i'm sure apple has done similar math and figured out that the issue exists but it is cheaper to fix it than to recall.

I had that problem with my ibook and apple replaced it with a new computer. I"m very happy with the new one and i've had no problems. I know its not ideal but i guess thats how they are dealing with it. Also it seems like those of us that have had the problem are the most vocal especially at those dumb apple support boards. there aren't many people starting threads saying my logic board works great.

4. dcoltonbrown thread starter macrumors member

Seems as if there are a very large amount of iBook owners (includng myself) who have faulty logic boards. I have been through 3 logic boards and I am going on my fourth as soon as I send in my computer to apple care. After looking through numerous discussion boards and doing a little research on the net, I have found thousands of users effected by this issue.

Logic board failure has a number of symptons such as trackpad failure. usb failure, and display failure among other issues.

I really believe that Apple is putting up a lot of smoke and mirrors because their are so many symptons/ effects of a failed logic board. If you were to call up Applecare and describe a frozen display issue with random lined on the right, they will say that they have never heard of it. If you look at the Apple discussion board, you can find thousands of people with the same problems.

I am a new Apple user and I am completely disallusioned and quite upset over the whole ordeal. I understand that laptops will have issues, but this seems to be a serious defect that Apple is hiding.

5. dcoltonbrown thread starter macrumors member

Kwyjibo, did they replace your computer or replace your logic board? And if they replaced your computer, how did you get them to do that?

Nonetheless, I would beg to differ over the amount of Apple zealots who hop on the Apple discussions and sware to Steve Jobs himself that their iBook is Jesus Christ himself resurrected in a computer.

hiadus = hiatus (website...enjoyed)

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Depending on where you live you can invoke a lemon law. In alabama 3 reprairs for the same item will get you a brand new system, or your money back.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

after 3-4 logic board repairs they will replace your machine. The lemon law was in my backpocket or atleast mention it (i did use the word lemon :) ) They replaced my iBook with a new computer after i said I somply don't trust them to repair it (1.5 months of downtime in 9 months of ownership) you've just got to bust some balls to be honest

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

We've been through this before, brown. Nice to have you rocking the damn boat again.

Perhaps a poll is in order, asking how many people have had iBook logic board problems.

I'm agreeing with Kwyjibo. Apple has most likely done the math and determined that the price to repair is lower than the price to recall.

Recalls are almost ALWAYS done only when consumer safety is at stake. Apple is not going to recall a product just because it breaks. If you want, you can try hurting yourself on a faulty logic board and getting Apple to recall the product.

It's always nice to have people here to rehash issues that have been dealt with before on these forums.

9. Black Beagle macrumors newbie

I've had my iBook for 1 year, service shop says I need a new Logic Board. (and something about Video Ram gone bad). Seems like this is a popular problem... I think my only solution will be to keep it for a few more months, and then sell it to someone who doesn't know about the problem :p

Anyone know of any problems with the Titanium 12" laptops?

Thanks,

Beagz

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

all 12" powerbooks are aluminum and the problem doesn't seem nearly as rampant.

11. dcoltonbrown thread starter macrumors member

Yeah...I have been away for a while and just read this. All I have to say is that if Apple is so safety conscience, why does it take a class action suit to get them to recall faulty power cords that do cause harm?