Logic Express crossgrade...ridiculous

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cowbellallen, Mar 20, 2007.

1. cowbellallen macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2007
    I just bought a Macbook for my home recording studio, and decided to spring the $29 needed to crossgrade over to the universal binary version. They won't let me buy it online, so that kind of ticks me off. The Apple Store down the street doesn't sell it, so that ticks me off. I have to actually mail in $29 and my installation CD in order to get the crossgrade.

BUT WAIT! I can't even to do that anymore. If you look at the downloaded order form (http://images.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/pdf/Logic_XP_Xgrade.pdf), you had to postmark it YESTERDAY!!! What the heck is the deal with that?! How am I supposed to upgrade my version of Logic Express now, and why did they put a deadline on it? Can anyone help me with this situation? It is completely ridiculous and would really appreciate some help on how I might be able to get the crossgrade.

I already called the store and Apple Customer service, and they said they "could not process orders at this time." Brilliant. Anyone help a fellow musician out here?

2. cowbellallen thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2007
    Cool, Apple Discussion Forums deleted my thread in the Logic Express 7 section. I really appreciate it!:mad:
  3. Turkish macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2007
    No offense, but hasn't the crossgrade deal been going on for over a year now?

I understand your frustration, but Apple isn't obligated to upgrade your software for a minimal charge forever. You had ample time IMHO. I have a PPC Mac with no intention of buying an Intel anytime soon and I crossgraded at first chance...
  4. cowbellallen thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2007
    It probably has, but I've only been recording myself for a little under half a year now, with no serious interest up until a month ago. I didn't even know the crossgrade was also technically an upgrade to 7.2 ( I only have 7.1)

My point is why would they offer something like this only through the mail, and why would they put a deadline on it? I'm sure there are other people besides me who are willing to pay money for the crossgrade. Now my only other option to getting 7.2 is through pirating software.
  5. Turkish macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2007
    OK, cool - and again, I understand why it would be frustrating, but it's not Apple's fault you didn't know about it, right?

So people don't go selling their old non-UB copies. ;)

Good question. I assume there's a point where they would just expect you to p ay for the upgraded version. I mean a year is a year. It's not their fault you just got interested.

Or paying for it like most people do. ;)
  6. cowbellallen thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2007
    If I didn't know, I didn't know. They could have sent me an e-mail telling me there was an upgrade, since I specifically checked the box saying let me know more about Logic products.

I'm sure people sell there non UB copies all the time, but why do they not allow you to buy the upgrade at the store or online?

A year is a year, but an upgrade is still an upgrade. Why would you END an upgrade? It's like offering Leopard for a year and saying you've got to keep using Tiger since you didn't buy it already. And 10.6 is nowhere in sight.

I can't pay for it anymore, that's the problem.

The point is there is an upgrade path. They've always had an upgrade path, and I just invested $1500 in a Macbook for my recording studio. It only makes sense that they would WANT me to buy the crossgrade seeing as I just switched to a product that basically needs the crossgrade.

UPDATE: Apple just changed their Logic Express page once they deleted my thread. Doesn't have the box on the right saying you can get tthe crossgrade. Check the cache if you don't know what I mean.
  7. Turkish macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2007
    I don't know what to tell you.

Call and bitch if it makes you feel better.

Sometimes upgrade paths cost money. You don't have the money right now and you're bitter. Nothing I say will change your mind.

Take the machine back to the store you bought it from and NICELY explain your situation and see if they might champion your cause.
  8. cowbellallen thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2007
    Yeah, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Really ticks me off...