Logic Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sus4, Mar 17, 2006.

1. sus4 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any experience with Logic Express or a similar program in that price range. I tried Garageband and it's not powerful enough for me.
    Thanks.

Sus4

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Ya, it's a way better program than GB, and Ableton Live is even better than Logic...In my opinion.......

also,

When the heck is Logic 8 going to come out?? It's about time if you ask me.

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I've heard a lot of good things about Live - in fact I'm installing it right at this very moment as it came bundled with my new M-Audio Projectmix. I've been a Logic user for about 2 years now and am a huge fan of the app, but I'm willing to give Live a go. Hopefully I can get both sitting side by side in my workflow.

Logic 8 - I'd love to see it sometime soon, but as 7.2 has only just been released, it probably won't appear until next year now.

To the original poster, if Garageband is not powerful enough for you then Logic Express should easily meet your needs, but be aware that there will be a bit of a learning curve. Garageband is a consumer app and makes everything seem very easy, whereas Logic Express is a semi-pro app, and with the added power and flexibility comes an added layer of complexity. Having said that, once you get to grips with it, Logic is a very powerful tool.

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Sometimes I use Live "rewired" to Logic to have both side by side.

Live is very unique, and has two main views. Press the "tab" button to go back and forth.

The arrange view will be familiar as it is a linear view where you can see the audio going from left to right, like Logic, GB, Pro Tools ect..

the other view in Live is what makes it special. You can "trigger" sounds and samples and loops, and record your "triggered" sounds in real time or "Live"

makes for a very on the fly creative environment.

I love Live. Give it a few days, and you will too.

5. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I've been playing around with Live over the weekend, and it has been a bit of a revelation. The 'Session' view where you can trigger clips and basically improvise with the song structure is a very clever and creative idea.

Live doesn't seem as deep and as flexible as Logic, but the session view is unique and I can see myself using this to lay out songs and experiment with ideas, and then bring this across to Logic to finish it off. ReWiring it seems like a good idea too.

6. sus4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys.
    Yes, Garageband is a consumer app. and I can see going to Logic Express has a bit of a learning curve.
    I'm gonna look a Live.
    Thanks.

sus4

7. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

I make industrial electro music and I'm
    trying to learn about different software
    synths and everything. I have been using
    Reason 3.0 for a while, and I like the soft
    synths on that program, but i'm looking
    for more. Are there good software synths
    in Logic Express?

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

You know it.

I forget how many, but it comes with more than two let's put it that way.

And Live comes with "Operator" which is great too.

9. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I thought that you had to buy Operator separately - certainly in my copy it is only a demo, with the full version being about £100.

I'm not totally sure on the difference between Pro and Express (the Apple website is not particularly helpful in the comparison) but even if you only get half of the soft synths in Express that you do in Pro, you will have a decent arsenal of noise making gear.

I would guess that the top end stuff like Sculpture won't be included, but the other ones are still very good.