Logic install/upgrade issues

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by aonghusc, Apr 6, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, I recently bought a shiny new MacBook Pro and want to install Logic 7 (then upgrade to 9) on it but am having issues due to PowerPC architecture no longer being supported and was wondering if there is a way around this?

I previously ran Logic 7 on my PowerPc G5 (G5 c2003, Logic 7 c2006) and still have this set up running too.

Many thanks in advance. Aonghus
  2. macrumors 68000

Feb 21, 2012
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    I don't know that an "upgrade" makes much sense (or if it's even possible anymore). The full version of Logic 9 only costs $200 at the app store. That's in line with what Apple used to charge for upgrades (maybe even less?).

As far as installing your old version, is it a universal application? When I got a new MBA I wasn't able to install my old version of Final Cut Studio from the original disks. But that was due to the *installers* requiring Rosetta and not the actual programs.

The solution was simple; just copied the program and all its support files from my old computer. That worked fine for me. I don't know anything about Logic 7, but if it's a universal app I think this will work. Otherwise I think you're out of luck.
  3. macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2011
    Get a firewire cable. Connect both computers. Use Migration assistant to transfer over files, settings and applications. It's a beautiful thing.
  4. macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2012
    logic 7 works and installed on intel no problem. i believe it has to be v 7.2.x to work on intel.

also - you might be limited to running it on Leopard. Apple has a history of locking out software that "could" run on something simply so users keep pace.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks for the responses guys. Will give these a go. Cheers, Aonghus :)