Logic/Mainstage Output?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by teknikal90, Sep 5, 2009.

1. macrumors 68020

teknikal90

Hey all,
    I'm getting Logic Studio on my MacBook and am planning to use Mainstage on stage. Just a question, how do I output the sound?
    Do I use just the on board sound with an adapter to fit the ¼" plug? Is that sufficient?
    Or do I need an output device of some sort?
    The stage is pretty big, all sound goes through an Aviom system and through a central desk to the front of house. So I just wasn't sure if the inbuild output is sufficient?
    Anyone with knowledge on this?

thanks!

2. macrumors member

I haven't ever performed with a computer on stage, but IMHO if it sounds good going through headphones and your speakers at home, it will be good enough for stage. A nice USB audio interface might give you better digital>analog conversion, but that's probably not even a noticeable difference in a live venue (and adding a device might increase latency, which strikes me as a far bigger problem than a few bits of sound quality).

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

teknikal90

oh ok thanks!
    i was really just concerned that perhaps since its such a big ystem it mgith damage my mac somehow...

4. macrumors regular

Using the headphone output on the mac may be fine. I would recommend getting a decent sound card if you need more inputs and outputs in the future. Firewire not USB! Any good audio interface like a Apogee Duet should not increase latency - but it can improve the quality of the sound due to superior A/D convertors than the built in sound card.

deej