Logic Pro 9 ($199.99) and MainStage 2 ($29.99) Debut in Mac App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 8, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following our report from earlier today regarding Apple having discontinued the boxed versions of Logic Studio and Express, Logic Pro 9 and MainStage 2 have now appeared for sale in the Mac App Store.

[​IMG]

Logic Pro [Mac App Store] is priced at $199.99 and arrives as version 9.1.6 in a 413 MB download.
    [​IMG]

MainStage [Mac App Store] arrives as a 303 MB version 2.2 priced at $29.99, making for a low-cost add-on for managing live performances.
    With the release, Apple now offers 17 different applications in the Mac App Store, including OS X Lion itself as well as iLife, iWork, Aperture, Final Cut Pro and now Logic apps.

Article Link: Logic Pro 9 ($199.99) and MainStage 2 ($29.99) Debut in Mac App Store

2. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I don't use either of these, but I'm sure more people will appreciate it being easily accessible via the App Store.

3. macrumors 68020

That's a huge price break. I'm really loving the pricing available on the Mac App Store. And the fact that you can legally install any purchased app on any and as many computers as you own makes it that much better.

4. macrumors G5

Consultant

OMG it's too easy to use and not expensive, so it's not professional enough! :mad:
    - professional troll would say

And yeah I am winking at you. ;)

5. macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

One upside is not having any more trouble with those ********** License Key's!

6. macrumors 68000

darthraige

Usually when a "Pro" app from Apple is in the $200 range, it's clearly intended for amateurs. They need to drop the word "Pro" now.

7. macrumors regular

When are they going to add the ability to verify a previous purchase from another outlet and give you a redemption code to download the app in the AppStore? I think it sucks that previously purchases software cannot reap the AppStore benefits without being repurchased.

Edit:

I suppose this would be a way of avoiding the 30% cut Apple takes though, but come on!

8. macrumors regular

What about the libs and instruments????

9. macrumors 68000

GSPice

:rolleyes:

10. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Any price reduction for upgrades? The upgrade price itself used to be $199. I've been confused about this in general: Does app store purchases = no more upgrading? On one hand, that's cool if the thing keeps being updated. But on the other hand, developers tend to rely on repeat sales via upgrades. I've seen ios apps get rigged into new "Pro" versions to abandon an existing version & existing users who bought-in already. Not happy with that trend & I assume Apple didn't create the App Store policies with that behavior in mind.

11. macrumors member

Yeah. It was pro when it was $500. Now that they reduced the price, it must not be pro even though it is the same product....

12. macrumors member

Logic Pro is definitely an app for professionals. There is nothing better out there. This price drop is excellent! Such a great value now.

13. macrumors member

9.1.6 is now available over software update:

This update improves overall stability and addresses some minor issues including the following:

Improved compatibility with full-screen view and Mission Control in OS X Lion
    The sample preview option available when importing samples into Ultrabeat now functions correctly
    The destination for recorded files is now properly reset to the new Project folder after using "Save As..." command

This update is recommended for all users of Logic Pro 9.

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: Logic Pro Release Notes

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2565

14. macrumors newbie

You have no idea what you're talking about, I switched from ProTools to Logic and have never looked back.

If ProTools reduced their price from $700 to $200 would it have to be called "Tools"?

15. Mix
    macrumors member

How can it only be 416mb? There are usually 6 install DVD's. Even without main stage it should definitely be a lot more. Logic usually takes up 50gb when installed with all the samples which I think are around 25gb of the 50gb.

16. macrumors 68020

Please tell me you're joking. This is the same Logic Pro 9 that was selling for $500 yesterday. The only thing that has changed is the price drop to $200, availability on the Mac App Store, and the ability to install it on all of your computers for that one low $200 price. This is a Pro app for a steal of a price.

17. macrumors 68040

the8thark

Or Apple wants everyone to use Pro apps. Something can be Pro and not cost the Earth to purchase it. And Apple is trying to prove this. If you can't see how Logic is so intended for Pro users then this App is clearly not for you. Stick with Garageband and you'll be happy.

18. macrumors 6502a

That's correct. We all know that it's the price alone that determines the quality of a piece of software :rolleyes:

19. macrumors regular

In the App Store description, it says that you can download optional features.

20. macrumors 6502a

djrod

Ok Apple, now make your own Photoshop and illustrator so I can kiss Adobe goodbuy

21. macrumors 6502

Extras can be downloaded later

At the end of the "System Requirements" section in the App Store, it says that there is "19GB of optional additional content available via in-app download"

22. macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

lol. This is a joke right?

23. macrumors member

x2 here, no need to me to use pro tools anymore.

One thought that hasn't been discussed is Pro Tools is now $499 and no longer needs Avid Hardware to run. Maybe apple is just going balls out head to head with Avid and this is their sales strategy.

24. macrumors regular

the boxed version came with the Jam Packs (actually the set was Logic Studio), I reckon the download version won't come with the Jam Packs, probably why the $209.99 (hate the 99 cent stupidity, make it $210) price compared to the $499 boxed.

25. macrumors 6502

I really doubted that they would bring logic pro to the mac app store but I see they've made all the instruments an additional download. That is a lot to download but the price tag is a lot cheaper which is always a good thing for the user :) typing my apple ID will be much nicer than K39D-JGU78......