Logic Pro Is it the best?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grokgod, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    Well I am finally going to buy a sequencer for my laptop.

I, as many do, thought first that Logic Pro would be the best way to go.

Yet, i have strangely hesitated!

What the other choices out there?

Cubase? Tracktion?

Also Logic has some great softsynths installed.

How do they compare to Reason or Reaktor?

Then there is the DONGLE issue, i hate Dongle, and they take a port which could be crucial on a Powerbook. Whats the best way to make up for this?
    USB keyboard, or hub?

Any opinions and info is appreciated.
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    If you are going down the integrated Audio/MIDI route, you have these options:

Logic Pro
    Digital Performer 4
    Nuendo (or the Cubase variants)
    ProTools (LE probably)

All these systems do the same things, and all can cope with plug-in systems.

Logic's software synths are as good if not better than Reasons, but it has a steep learning curve, ProTools 6.7 is an excellent audio editor/mixer, but is less capable with MIDI and has no soft synths as standard, you'll need to buy those seperately. DP4 has many admirers accross the pond as is as capable as Logic in many ways, and Nuendo is very similar but is generally less well thought of in the industry as a whole.

Nothing really compares to Reaktor, as it's a synthesis sysyem, not a sequencer/recorder, however, you can run Reaktor as a plug-in in Logic etc.

It really depends on what you intend to do with the system, but I favour Logic over the others for MIDI based productions and ProTools if there is heavy audio content or serious mixdown involved.

The dongle issue is a problem, but a USB multi=port is cheap.

If you can get an educational discount Logic Pro is also pretty cheap now.
  3. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    Thanks for the help WinterMute!

I have been hearing some things about a learning curve.
    I find this strange because I find all of Apple software So easy to use.

Does this learning curve apply for the entire program or just the soft synths?

I take it the USB key will work properly in a HUB or additional keyboard. That cool i guess. Or at least usable. or is that DOable.