Logic PRO or Logic Express?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DavidFalling, Mar 22, 2005.

1. DavidFalling macrumors newbie

I am going to need a new audio editing/ midi program to compliment my FIRST brand new PB 15 1.67 ghz that i will be ordering this week, but i need to know what the huge difference is between PRO and Express logic. i know the price is quite a bit different, and i am wondering what the advantage of going pro would be compared to going express.
    i am going with logic, because pro tools LE with my mbox doesn't have as good of midi capabilities as logic pro. i do a lot of midi AND audio stuff, so i need something that will be able to handle both. any suggestions? thanks so much!
    im very excited to become a part of the MAC world! :cool:

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The upgrade to to Logic Pro is far less painfull if you can find a way to take advantage of the education discount $499 for Pro 7

3. DavidFalling thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i am an audio student, so getting the educational discount is no prob, but is it worth spending the extra $350? (logic express= $150 vz logic pro=$500- w/ edu discounts)

4. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Not really.. Unless you are very serious and want all the syths etc.. Or you may want TDM support.

Otherwise, express is cheap, and great. 7 is much better than 6.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

A professional needs all the right tools for their trade. Right?

If you try Logic Express and you don't care for the interface, then you haven't lost much, but if you find yourself needing the Pro functions, then you're out another $499.

I read many threads where Pro users use both ProTools and Logic Pro

I wish I could help you more.

6. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Umm...not for everyone!

Check out the osxaudio.com Logic forums for MANY L7-related problems. I personally use L Express 7 every day and I've never had a problem, but to say 7 is much better than 6 is really a little misleading. Rewire, for instance, is MUCH better in Logic 6 than 7.

I should footnote this post by saying I wholeheartedly recommend Logic. Once you get your head around it (much easier with v.7 compared to others), it'll give you the most flexibility BY FAR of any of the major DAWs.