Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackeill

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I am using quite old MBP (late 2008 one, but with 2.53 processor, SSD and 8GB of RAM + latest Mavericks) and Logic Pro X, which works quite fine. I bought Sound Blaster Play! USB to connect my microphone to it (using MBP's line-in resulted in very low volume when recording).

When I'm recording audio in Logix Pro X using this Sound Blaser, I am able to record a clean audio only once per Logic Pro X start. Afterwards my following recordings contain lots of pops and clicks, sometimes they sound robotic.

I have tried lots of different audio settings: recording depth, frequency, file types, I/O buffer size... Nothing helped. However, when I record using internal microphone everything works fine. Moreover, when I use Sound Plaster Play! USB with other recording software (for example: Photo Booth) I encounter no issues whatsoever - sound is loud and clear.

Currently I am on Logic Pro X 10.0.7, but had these issues since 10.0.0. Never tested Logic Pro 9 or older, though.

Any help appreciated... It is really a pain for me when I have to restart Logic Pro X each time I want to record a sound...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you have any addition DAW apps you could try?

I'm thinking:
- GarageBand, or
- Reaper

Sounds like a latency and/or CPU speed issue...

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
about 14 years ago when SB "Live!" came out, there was a big hub-bub about how it only operated properly at 48k, and the 44.1k settings were all interpolated and it never quite sounded right.

I'm not saying that's a problem now, but have you tried recording at 48k with this device in Logic?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
It's hard to say what causes that, but i'd be inclined to point a finger at the sound blaster interface.

Have you installed any drivers for it? I ask because looking at the website for it, it doesn't mention Mac compatibility at all. So it May be running of the Macs class compliant core audio shenanigans, which isn't known to be great on Apples later operating systems.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... I bought Sound Blaster Play! USB to connect my microphone to..

The problem is certainly with the Sound Blaster Play!
It's not worth wasting a lot of time on a cheap audio interface like the Sound Blaster. No matter what you do it will never be really great. These were intended for use with games and internet telephones not recording. Yes it can work as you found out.

At the very least you want something that has a gain control knob and XLR inputs. There are quite a few good models.

jackeill

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Do you have any addition DAW apps you could try?
Haven't tried these, I do not have anything else.

I'm not saying that's a problem now, but have you tried recording at 48k with this device in Logic?
48k doesn't help.

Have you installed any drivers for it?
Nope, there aren't any. OS X says that this is generic audio interface on USB however. And it works well everywhere besides Logic (where tested...).

The problem is certainly with the Sound Blaster Play!
It's not worth wasting a lot of time on a cheap audio interface like the Sound Blaster.
Well, I bought it only because I needed to make my microphone sound louder. Built in line in doesn't work with microphones well. So, I really wanted to go for cheapest USB audio device from a price range about $5-$10, but I decided to buy something more "serious" like the SB.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Well, I bought it only because I needed to make my microphone sound louder. Built in line in doesn't work with microphones well. So, I really wanted to go for cheapest USB audio device from a price range about $5-$10, but I decided to buy something more "serious" like the SB.

Yes, "line in" will not work for microphone inputs. "line level" is is a much higher or stinger signal then "mic. level". All microphone need a pre amp to lift them up to "line level". So any interface that accepts a microphone has to have a built-in preamplifier.

What you find is that the quality of the built-in preamplifier varies a LOT. In terms of what matters to the quality of the recording the most important parts are closer to the person being recorded. The #1 most important factor is the talent of the person. #2 is the room and environment and the amount of space between the person, the mod and the walls. #3 is the microphone itself then #4 the preamp.

this things are all in the chain and there could be a weak link. Seems like in your case it's the audio interface.

When you are game playing or talking on a phone clicks and os are annoying but not a big deal. Cellphone quality audio is good enough if you area just trying to communicate. Recording is different we tend to be MUCH more critical of the quality of recorded performances

At a minimum you want an interface with analog gain controls on the inputs and outputs and 24-bits at 48K. ThenI'd look at the reputations of the brand and go for one that is reasonably well respected in recording studios.

How valuable is you time. It you burn 4 hours fuzzing around with a $20 gadget you'd working for $5 per hour.

djseraphim

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2016
I had this same problem I got tired of listening to change this or change this because nobody's advice worked how about this I came up with my own solution and its common sense.

Simple solution

unplug all devices
make sure all updates are done
restart mac
open up old logic project that is ticking and clicking sound
open up new project while leaving other one open
drag files to new project session
boom ..

Problem solved clicking sound went away it worked for me.

Yes, "line in" will not work for microphone inputs. "line level" is is a much higher or stinger signal then "mic. level". All microphone need a pre amp to lift them up to "line level". So any interface that accepts a microphone has to have a built-in preamplifier.

What you find is that the quality of the built-in preamplifier varies a LOT. In terms of what matters to the quality of the recording the most important parts are closer to the person being recorded. The #1 most important factor is the talent of the person. #2 is the room and environment and the amount of space between the person, the mod and the walls. #3 is the microphone itself then #4 the preamp.

this things are all in the chain and there could be a weak link. Seems like in your case it's the audio interface.

When you are game playing or talking on a phone clicks and os are annoying but not a big deal. Cellphone quality audio is good enough if you area just trying to communicate. Recording is different we tend to be MUCH more critical of the quality of recorded performances

At a minimum you want an interface with analog gain controls on the inputs and outputs and 24-bits at 48K. ThenI'd look at the reputations of the brand and go for one that is reasonably well respected in recording studios.

How valuable is you time. It you burn 4 hours fuzzing around with a $20 gadget you'd working for $5 per hour.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
It sounds like you don't want to spend much for a USB audio interface. You might look on eBay for good price on a used unit that has drivers available for download on the manufacturere's site for the minimum version of OSX you will be using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.