Login button now takes 180 secs before asking for password...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XFreak, Dec 18, 2005.

1. XFreak macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2005
    Just today, my mini mac has started to delay in the login page. It now takes some 180 seconds between clicking my login username button, and it animating/asking for a password. This is an admin account.

I also have a user account which responds immediately...

Any thoughts?

Gary Thomlinson
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    That's super weird. :(

Are you using Filevault, Gary? And have you checked to make sure you don't have filesystem problems (repair disk and repair permissions...more the former)?
  3. XFreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2005
    FileVault is off... just finished a boot from the tiger CD to repair disk, and did repair permissions when back in HD tiger. Nada.

Very odd... Its driving me mad... there must be something thats changed to start all this off, but the mac's hardly been touched this week.

If I can't get it working, I might have to create another admin account, move all my stuff into that and delete the trouble account. I'd rather figure out whats causing it tho...

On first boot, login works as normal, taking only a second between clicking the icon and the textbox appearing... however, after logging in, then back out, it takes around 10 seconds for same... login, logout again, and you're talking 40 secs+ and so on... Its like, the longer I'm logged in, the longer it takes the next time to login...

4. XFreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2005
    Ive found a way around this... If I change the login type from icons to textbox/username input... the login works quickly... as you'd expect I guess as there's both the username and password boxes shown together...

Switching back to the iconic usernames results in this delay when clicked...

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Something broken with the user's pictures?

Try changing the pics. Maybe that'll help.
  6. XFreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2005
    Tried changing the pictures, no use. Deleted the keychain, just in-case... nothing.

Reinstalled 10.4.3 update, nothing. I'm running out of ideas now.

Its almost as if the system has detected an illegal password (where it locks up for a minute or so) ... but before I've actually typed one in...

7. XFreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2005
    I think this is whats known as sods law...

I've taken the Mac mini into work... paired the wireless keyboard and mouse that I use at work on my iMac, setup the wep key for the wirless network, all ready to try and solve the login problem, and...

The problem's gone away... very odd... I'm just hoping that it stays that way when I get home... Maybe some sort of network issue was involved with my home wireless network, or maybe a problem with the pairing of my home keyboard and mouse... who knows...

One for Apple to log under 'odd bugs'...

8. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    i got this symptom once, as i installed "a lot of" fonts. it might help, so check it out. deactivate all fonts you don't necessarily need.