Login screen...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The General, Mar 31, 2007.

1. The General macrumors 601

On my login screen I show three choiced on the list of accounts. There is mine, one that I made called Guest, and then theres one that says "Other..." and it has an icon that looks like it's maybe for a .Mac account or something. How do I get rid of this "Other..." choice from my list? It wasn't there until I made the Guess account. :confused:

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

wait, so there is your account, a Guest account, and a Guess account?

on a serious note, on occasion i've heard some apps create files that OS X recognized to be account info, why don't you try
    1. see if there is any other account, namely in /Users/
    2. delete the Guest account, see if Others still there
    3. well, post back if those two dont give any result

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You have enabled the root user. This isn't necessarily bad but it'd be a very good idea to disable it through NetInfo Manager in the Utilities folder on an admin account. The option is in the Security menu. :)

4. The General thread starter macrumors 601

OH ok, yeah. I was in the terminal and noticed there was no root password, so I passwd root and set one.

I'll gladly have the extra user on the list than have no root password. ;)

I used to be a Linux user, I'm still kinda new to OS X.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

interesting....i didn't know this.....learn something new everyday :) :apple:

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd still disable the root user. Your custom password will remain, but disabling it means it doesn't show up at the login page and is more difficult to access by either someone using your machine or someone trying to hack into your machine. As a security measure, Apple recommends you don't keep the user active. :)