Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MultiM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
Why dooes MacRumours kick me out after a short period of time? I log in as usual but if I have to (God Forbid) do some work on another screen and come back a little later, I am no longer logged in and have to start over. Any particualr reason?

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Why dooes MacRumours kick me out after a short period of time?
It might be useful if you quantify what a 'short period of time' is 5-10 minutes... 30 seconds. It will help! :)

I have been 'logged out' when in the forum spy section, but normally you get a 'are you still there?' message which logs you back in after one click. The fact that you have to re-type your login id and password may mean you don't have cookies enabled... I allow the MR cookies and don't have much of a problem with instantly logging back in.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
On my home computer, I have the 'remember me' (or whatever it is called) option enabled, so this isn't an issue generally, but when I have used public computers I don't check this option, and I have noticed this too. It seems to be about 5 minutes or so of browsing and then you have to re-enter your details. Not sure whether the public computer I used had cookies enabled, but that could well be it.

MultiM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
I have cookies enabled. I need them for a couple other work related sites I need. I had to log back in to reply to this. It hasn't been that long. I did leave my desk and made some calls so I wasn't on the site this entire time. Not reasonable. I do have a little work to do.;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
When the forum software appears to be acting strangely, we advise people to log out of the forums, delete all cookies for macrumors.com and forums.macrumors.com, and then log back in. Sometimes that solves the problem.

For diagnostic reasons, you can change web browsers and see if the problem continues, as a way to determine if the problem is specific to one browser (and its cookies) or is system-wide. In the same way, using another computer, if one is available, would tell you if the problem is about something on that one computer or if it's something about your MacRumors account and the way the forum software works.

MultiM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
How odd. Now it seems to be staying logged in. I obviously have NO clue at this point.

Dr Q: Thanks, that sounds like it makes a lot of sense, but I am not set up to use another browser or another computer in the office. I'm kinda lucky this one works...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.