Login Via Server

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chehalistech, Jun 3, 2003.

1. chehalistech macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2003
    I have over a hundred Macs running OSX. Is there anyway to get them to authenticate to a server?. I have a Windows server running with all the users in it already so it would be nice to be able to use that. I there any way to authenticate either to the Windows server or to a OSX server?
  2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    i'm not too familiar with windows server, but you should have them be able to just log in to the user account on the server and then all specific files will be mounted on the desktop.
  3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Re: Login Via Server

Mac OS X 10.2 clients can authenticate via LDAP or NetInfo (as most used).
    If you have a Mac OS X 10.2 Server you can let OS X Clients authenicate via both. But NetInfo is easiest and most documented.
    Just run the NetInfo configuration setup on you OS X Server, letting you set the option to being a NetInfo parent (can't remember the exact words, but once you see, you'll recognize it).
    Now the clients must be configurered to authenticate not locally but via a NetInfo parent. You can do this in NetInfo Manager.
    One thing: the Server Tag is "network".
    If it's your first time you'll be playing around a little, but that's the fun part.
    Configuring an LDAP server on Win 2K server is new to me....