Login with email instead of username

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by awegew, Mar 16, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Was I doing something wrong today or is it not possible to login with your email here? It has to be a unique identifier as part of the setup. Can I login with that instead of my username?

2. macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you're only able to login with your username. :eek:

3. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Only usernames are supported for a login credential, not email addresses.

4. macrumors 68030

andalusia

Your username is separate to your email address used to sign up, and your email address will not work.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any particular rationale for this? I mean I log into iCloud, google, yahoo, my bank, facebook, etc with my email. It's a required unique identifier that is used to create an account here. It makes absolutely no sense that you would require people to login with a second abstract string that they're prone to forget such as what I just did.

Had I not made this thread, I'd be trying to figure out how to track down what my username was.

6. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

It's how the software was designed. I believe the rationale was because the software was originally built with the option to allow multiple people with the same email. Of course, your username is shown in the upper right hand corner of every page, and there is a forgot password form which will email you referring you to by your username.

7. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't know for sure, but I have to assume that it's just how vbulletin works. You should consider using a password manager like LastPass or 1password. Then you won't have to try and remember everything.