Logitech and ClamCase Teasing First Two 'MFi' Game Controllers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Two controller makers are teasing MFi "Made for iPhone" game controllers following the public release of iOS 7. The new OS includes special APIs for third-party hardware game controllers, turning the iPhone and iPad into gaming systems on par with other handheld consoles.

ClamCase has published a trailer for its GameCase iPhone controller, which connects via Bluetooth, includes its own battery, and supports all iOS 7-compatible iOS devices.

At the same time, Logitech is teasing its new hardware controller on its Facebook page. The position of the hands strongly suggests the leaked iPhone enclosure controller that surfaced from Logitech back in June.

[​IMG]
    Games designed specifically for iOS 7 will be able to tie into Apple's Game Controller framework, allowing for seamless connectivity to authorized third-party MFi devices.

Article Link: Logitech and ClamCase Teasing First Two 'MFi' Game Controllers

2. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Now that is sweet!!!

Now that there is a set standard maybe we will see more addon controllers.

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors regular

I can't tell from the video, but I hope there is room to feed the lightning cable so that you can charge while playing! This looks awesome! Now imagine this as your controller for games played on the AppleTV... Wii U what?

6. elmateo487, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

macrumors 6502a

I hope they leave the charger port available to charge the device while playing.

Edit: what that guy said ^^^^

7. macrumors 6502

At ****ing last! All we need now is the Apple TV to include gaming apps and support MFI and its goodbye Nintendo! Nintendo really needs to start thinking about putting their games on the App Store or very very quickly they are gonna get left behind. For reference look what happened to Sega....and how quickly they made a **** ton of money launching Sonic on iOS. Resistance is futile Nintendo!:D

8. macrumors member

I'm not much of an iOS gamer, but this is interesting and long overdue. I suspect that these sorts of controllers will become incredibly useful when Apple pulls their head out of their asses with respect to the Apple TV and opens it up to 3rd party developers.

If Apple were at all competent at making user interface devices, I'd wish for them to make their own 1st party controllers, but we've all seen how it ends up when they produce things like mice, for instance.
    (To be fair, they do make great keyboards and trackpads, but I doubt they'd make a good game controller).

I can't wait to see some reviews of these puppies.

9. macrumors 6502

I loved the first video. Hopefully with controllers like these, the App Store will receive even more console-like games

10. macrumors 6502a

Klae17

11. macrumors 68000

iGrip

"Games designed specifically for iOS 7 will be able to tie into Apple's Game Controller framework"

IOW: Even More Fragmentation...

12. macrumors 65816

I'd rather just have a regular controller to use with an iPad. Is that too much to ask?

13. macrumors newbie

How so? iOS games must support a touch interface, but now there is an official API for all controllers to implement against.

14. macrumors 68040

Glideslope

15. macrumors 65816

Now you're just Fudding.

16. macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I think MFI controllers + Dual Screen AirPlay can make this happen already. Take a look at http://www.apple.com/appletv/airplay/.

17. macrumors 65816

Ahhh. One of the final nails in Nintendo's coffin after their Wii U debacle.

18. macrumors member

This!!! An ipad with 10 hour battery life and an xbox type controller would be awesome. I remember lugging my nintendo to friends houses when I was a kid. This would be amazing for multiplayer games.

With the new A7X (I imagine) in the Ipad 5 we could great gaming experiences. This could be a game changer! (pun?)

19. macrumors 6502

Nintendo is profitable with its current line of 3DS/DS handhelds, and the Wii was the most successful and profitable of all the last-generation consoles.

20. macrumors 65816

Except he specifically stated: Wii U.

21. macrumors regular

I was hoping Apple would release their own. Not because I think it would be the best. Rather, so that they create a standardized button configuration and we are not stuck with button 1, button 2, button 3, etc during setup like pre-XBox 360 controller for PC.

22. macrumors 6502

23. macrumors 68000

Wow that looks huge. How the hell will that thing fit in your pocket? I guess this is something you will attach when your home and ready to play a game. I couldn't see having this attached 24/7. When I'm home I prefer to use the TV anyway if I want to game.

24. macrumors 65816

I believe the guidelines for these controllers actually take that into account- there are some standards in terms of the controls on the device so it doesn't become a mess to configure and support.

25. macrumors regular

FFArchitect