Logitech Cordless Desktop S 530 review

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tekmoe, Mar 19, 2006.

1. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Two words: Don't buy.

I ordered this from CDW and got it in 4 business days. Upon receiving it, I hooked the mouse up to my work laptop which is a thinkpad. There was a noticable delay between moving the mouse and seeing it move on the screen. No big deal I thought. Wrong. When I got home, I hooked up the wireless mouse and keyboard to my Powermac. The delay is awful. I told myself I could live with it but after using it for a little less than 3 hours, I decided to quit fooling myself and to admit to the truth; the S 530 just plain stinks. To be perfectly honest, the keyboard even feels cheap. The keys feel very hollow like you would find on a 5 dollar keyboard. Pathetic. The mouse is nice but again, the lag totally kills it.

I am returning this setup as soon as I get back to work on Tuesday. I have to pay about 7 dollars to ship it back so that's what I lose for ordering a piece of crap. For anyone that is even remotely considering purchasing the S 530...you have been warned.

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Thanks for the warning on that and sorry you have to send it back. I was looking at buying it in April when the drivers for the Intel are going to out for it. After this and a few reviews from people on Amazon I think I'll get something else.
    I really wish Apple would make a few different keyboards so everyone could find that one type that they want. I really like the Logitech diNovo cordless keyboard that my friend has but it's missing a few important keys that Macs have. I'm sure it can be programmed but really, just make a really nice Mac version as I'd buy one asap. Oh and make it BT as well ;)
    Again thanks for the hands on review of it :)

3. tekmoe thread starter macrumors 68000

I have actually had a Apple Bluetooth keyboard for a little over a year now. I originally bought it to use with my 15" PowerBook that I had last year but it turned out it was hardly ever used. I put it back in the box and it hasn't been touched since until now...

I went to Fry's last night and bought a Logitech MX1000 wireless mouse along with a generic usb bluetooth dongle. I am now using the Apple bluetooth keyboard and it totally kicks the crap out of the Logitech S 530 keyboard. Oh and the MX1000 is freakin' awesome.

I seriously do not know what Logitech was smoking when they decided to release the S 530. It's one of those most crappiest set of peripherals I have ever come across for mac.

4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Wow thank you for the review, I was thinking about getting the mouse/keyboard setup for my birthday. I was hoping I would hear good reviews on it because IMO I think this setup looks very sleek and nice.

Have you had a change of though maybe lol? Is the set still really crappy? (As you can see I would love to hear a good review of it but if it's really that bad then thanks for the review!)

5. tekmoe thread starter macrumors 68000

Don't waste your time with it. It's definitely being shipped back to CDW tomorrow. The MX1000 & Apple bluetooth keyboard combined blow it away.

6. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

This is the combo I am using, however I'm waiting for some intel drivers for the MX1000 so that I can program some of the keys. At the moment only scrolling works.

7. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

New Intel compatible Logitech Drivers are out!!!!!

8. tonyl macrumors 6502

Thanks for sharing, but my LX500 works great!