Logitech G3 Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by digitaldave, Mar 21, 2007.

1. digitaldave macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2006
    I'm looking to maybe replace my mouse, and I quite like the look of the Logitech G3 mouse, mainly because it looks like the same design as my trusty Wheel Mouse, but with a couple of side buttons added. The problem is that according to the Logitech site, the software is PC only, but I assume that the standard left/right/middle buttons and scroll work as normal. I've read in another post here about the MX518 that although the extra buttons on that mouse can't be programmed in the control panel (except for expose?), they work fine in other applications (World of Warcraft was mentioned, and it's that I'm specifically interested in).

So, anyone actually used one of these mice? Or should I just get the MX518?

2. digitaldave thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2006
  3. rocketsarefast macrumors newbie

May 12, 2010
    logitech g3 on mac osx

I have used the Logitech G3 mouse on osx for about a year now. It works very well. In Snow Leopard, the side buttons can be assigned to expose or show desktop. This is somewhat limiting, so I use a third party software preference pane program called "SteerMouse".

The downside, every time the computer boots, the mouse is in about 400dpi mode, and I have to press the sensitivity toggle button to switch it up to 2000dpi. Not a big deal, but a little bothersome.

Three years for an answer, I assume you have already solved your problem, but this may be useful to others.
  4. Blow up tre1 macrumors member

Nov 7, 2009

I would have had them on expose anyway :) so this limitation is not bad for me. I have a G5.

Some applications do support the extra side buttons in mac without a driver. This is because when they are pressed they still send the signal, but the computer doesn't know what to do when it's pressed-so it does nothing.
    COD4 I know lets you use them as whatever you like, with or without drivers... I don't know any other specific applications though. Others should have the same kind of support as long as they are press enter/toggle key then press a key for X (move, shoot etc) to happen.
  5. *LTD* macrumors G4

Feb 5, 2009
    The only non-Apple mouse I'd ever use is the Logitech G9.