Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoparShaha

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
A few days ago, I bought a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse for my soon-to-arrive 12" PB. While it is without a doubt the nicest looking mouse I've ever seen, the performance was horrible. The cursor was very jerkey, and the two side buttons do not work. No software I found (other than expose) supports these buttons.

So, I exchanged it for the Logitech MX-700. Absolutely fantastic mouse. Even though its not Bluetooth, I love it. I know logitech is releasing a bluetooth version, the MX-900, but that supposedly doesn't support Mac either. Anyways, the cursor responds instanly. Other wireless mice I have tried always have a slight lag from when you move the mouse to when the cursor actually moves. I am amazingly impressed with this mouse. And the icing on the cake is that it recharges when you put it in the base.

Anyone considering a wireless mouse should definately check the MX-700 out, it's well worth it.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm using it as we speak, and I love it too. Fantastic mouse. I bet the MX-900 will have support for Apple at some point. I actually thought it was already available though...?

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Re: Logitech MX-700

Originally posted by MoparShaha
A few days ago, I bought a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse for my soon-to-arrive 12" PB. While it is without a doubt the nicest looking mouse I've ever seen, the performance was horrible. The cursor was very jerkey, and the two side buttons do not work. No software I found (other than expose) supports these buttons.

So, I exchanged it for the Logitech MX-700. Absolutely fantastic mouse. Even though its not Bluetooth, I love it. I know logitech is releasing a bluetooth version, the MX-900, but that supposedly doesn't support Mac either. Anyways, the cursor responds instanly. Other wireless mice I have tried always have a slight lag from when you move the mouse to when the cursor actually moves. I am amazingly impressed with this mouse. And the icing on the cake is that it recharges when you put it in the base.

Anyone considering a wireless mouse should definately check the MX-700 out, it's well worth it.

Wow, thanks for that. I've been very happy with my Microsoft RF Explorer mouse for the last year or so, and I was just on the verge of getting the bluetooth version for the new powerbook I just bought. I suppose I'll just have to wait for the MX900 to come out.
One question about the Microsoft mouse. Can you use it with the internal bluetooth in the Mac, or do you have to use the provided adaptor?
Thanks.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I have an A4tech IR mouse and an LG RF keyboard, both work fanstastically until the battries run flat, then time for a re-charge.

Is the MX700 IR or RF

(IR=infa-red) (RF=radio frequency)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
While I don't "know" if the MX-700 is IR or RF I'm pretty sure it's RF since my base is hidden away... odds of an IR signal hitting it are pretty much nil.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I should also note that (as far as I can tell) there's no reason to get the MX 900 over the MX 700. I don't think the MX 900 works with anything but the base that Logitech provides. So the only difference I can see between the bluetooth one and the RF one is just that. It's a different signal being sent. Can anybody tell me what the difference is other than that?

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by SilentPanda
I should also note that (as far as I can tell) there's no reason to get the MX 900 over the MX 700. I don't think the MX 900 works with anything but the base that Logitech provides. So the only difference I can see between the bluetooth one and the RF one is just that. It's a different signal being sent. Can anybody tell me what the difference is other than that?

Are you sure? That would seriously put me off the MX900. What a waste having internal bluetooth.
Can you point me to a link where it says it won't work with anything else.

MoparShaha

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Re: Re: Logitech MX-700

Originally posted by junior
One question about the Microsoft mouse. Can you use it with the internal bluetooth in the Mac, or do you have to use the provided adaptor?
Thanks.
It will work with any adapter. My Belkin adapter had no problem connecting with it.

Originally posted by manitoubalck
Is the MX700 IR or RF (IR=infa-red) (RF=radio frequency)
It's RF. You don't need a line of sight.

Originally posted by SilentPanda
I don't think the MX 900 works with anything but the base that Logitech provides.
Actually, I'm pretty sure it would work with any bluetooth adapter. Bluetooth is a standard, any device should work with any other. If you got the MX-900, you simply would not plug in the USB cord from the "stand/recharger". That way, you could still recharge using it, but using your own Bluetooth adapter.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
A great mouse!

I just bought a MX700 for my wife's iMac. If you can get over the size (which is considerable), then you are in for a treat. I'm amazed at how much difference a mouse can make, but the extra buttons are extremely useful. The mouse itself works great; no problems tracking, etc. Although I would still use a small mouse for travel, I'd buy an MX900 for my 12" PB Rev.B in a heartbeat for use at home, assuming that it's compatible with Macs.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-All

One housekeeping tip for the MX700 - keep the dock clean, it's a tight fit as it is, the tiniest bit of fuzz will keep it from seating and thusly recharging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.