Logitech MX1000 vs. Logitech G7

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by corywoolf, Mar 11, 2006.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I am getting a new mouse tonight along with my MBP, which is better?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

To go with a laptop, the G7, since it has a nice small dongle instead of the huge thing/charger the MX1000 has.

3. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Oh, so this isn't bluetooth? It is better tracking then most wireless mouses from what I understand. The G7 it is then, can't wait to post pics of my new setup in 3-4 weeks! :D

thanks itasor!:)

4. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I would defiantly go with the G7. I have the G5 and have used the mx1000 extensivly, I think the G5/7 is much nicer, especially for gaming.

5. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Not going to be using it for gaming, but want better tracking then the apple BT mouse I have used before. It is helpful to have a mouse with good tracking when drawing in Illustrator or doing anything else precise. I see the mx1000 is OS X compatible, but the G7 says it's not, is there 3rd party drivers for the Mac anywhere? I don't need every button set, but it would be cool to use for expose/dashboard activation. Any chance the RF (or is it a IR, don't remember) receiver on the MBP would work with the mouse instead of using the dongle?

thanks again

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

No. :(

Maybe you're better off going with that other Logitech mouse (can't remember the model) that is BT. The G7 definitely has a nicer dongle than that big docking station that the mx1000 has, but then again, if the mouse isn't going to be traveling with you, you may want to consider the MX1000 and then another smaller BT mouse for traveling.

Point being, that the MX1000 charging/docking station is really nice, if you're not going to be bringing it with you.

If this is going to be a travel AND desk use mouse, go for the G7, but personally I hate little dongles sticking out of my computer. :(

You can probably use USBOverdrive with the G7, but usually all logitech mice are OS X compatible because they have a program called Logitech Control Center (system preference) that lets you map the buttons and such. Maybe this doesn't apply to the G7...not sure.

Good luck with whatever you get. If you're looking for a personal opinion, I would probably go with a very small BT mouse (or none, use trackpad) for traveling and the MX1000 for desk use. :)

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I use the MX1000 for desk use, and just the trackpad at other times. I absolutely love my MX1000 even though I would have preferred bluetooth.

8. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

So are you getting the G7? If so, please let us know how it worked out for you, and congrats on the MBP!

EDIT: I just checked out the G7, it uses the 2.4GHz frequency for wireless?? That's the same as my phone and WIFI, and the phone TURNS-OFF my WIFI. What would the G7 do?

EDIT#2: Or I could answer my own question :)

From Designtechnica:
    The G7 uses Logitech’s proprietary 2.4GHz radio technology, which is somewhat prone to interference. Once the router was moved, there were no problems, even though five other 2.4GHz gadgets were within three feet. It should be noted that the mouse and receiver are paired at the factory, and no manual channel changing is possible. The G7 detects interference, and uses a proprietary channel-hopping technology to overcome it.

9. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I plan on using the G7 away from home as well, so for the improved tracking, I think a small dongle is a small price to pay! I like how they give you 2 batteries as well, I wish they had the balance weights they include with the G5 mouse. I almost thought of just going with the corded G5, but for $10 more, why not go wireless? Amazon has the G7 for $65 right now. Should I stick with getting the Apple BT Keyboard, or just get a Logitech RF keyboard? :D

10. bigben334 macrumors regular

go with the logitech v270 bluetooth mouse...it comes in blue and silver...the silver matches the MBP beautifully...im ordering the v270 with my MBP this week...u can get it at buy.com for like 34 bucks :D

11. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

The tracking isn't very good though. I don't care about looks as much as function.

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i'd say mx 1000 for better ergonomics and an extra button, but for a laptop, the g7 has a smaller dongle and a changable battery (but shorter battery life).
    of course, if money is no object, there's another mouse whose dongle is very small and works with the mx1000 but i can't remember what it is.

13. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Why would I need 2 mouses though?

14. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

just so you could use the smaller dongle on the go (hypothetically)--it's probably a pretty bad idea :eek: