Logitech MX510... Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Games' started by neonart, Aug 5, 2004.

1. neonart macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    Insidemacgames.com rated the Logitech MX510 as a great gaming mouse (Review Here) and I'm due for a new mouse.
    If any of you have used this mouse I'd like to know a couple of things...

1) Will it work without any drivers? I don't want faster scrolling, or 87 button configuration. My old Logitech has been great and I've never used drivers. Got a Kengsington Studio Mouse once and it was a mess with or without drivers.

2) General feel and function. Is this mouse all that, a bag of chips, and the quarter slice of pickle it's advertised to be? My old Logitech optical freaks every now and then and it sucks to be in the middle of a fragfest and all of a sudden be looking at the floor! Any of this with the MX510?

Thank you for your input!
  2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    I can tell you about the MX500... the answer for that mouse is yes and yes. I believe *almost* all USB mice work without drivers anymore (I haven't found one that doesn't)...

I really like the look of the MX510, but I can't justify replacing my MX500 for it... especially since I paid $25 for it new.
  3. iceTrX macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    Outside of Detroit.
    I have an MX510 (blue) and its the most comfortable mouse I've used so far. I have yet to experience any kind of lag while playing an FPS. I used it on my mac for awhile without drivers (because you need to restart to install the logitech mouseware drivers and I'm not ruining my 60 day uptime! :p ). I normally use the mouse on my gaming PC and have the drivers installed since it feels weird without them, I'd see no reason (except for restarting) that you wouldn't want to install the drivers so you can get the extra use out of the extra buttons and I've heard that the logitech drivers are required for the MX series of mice to have 800DPI (without the drivers the mouse is only pumping 400DPI?)

4. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    Well, it's not that it'll work or not. Usually what I find is that the cursor speed is all wack after restarts aand after sleep. That's what I experienced a few months ago with that Studio Mouse and some cheap mouse I used for a few days.
    My current, trusty Logitech has worked identical to an Apple mouse on 3 machines and 3 OS revisions... I don't want to mess that up.
  5. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    So no weird cursor speed changes after waking from sleep? How many buttons are actually recognized in OSX?
  6. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Logitech mice work well without drivers. But, I installed the drivers to take advantage of Expose. There is one problem though. I can't do a mouse-wheel-click. When it comes to games and using Safari, mouse-wheel-clicks have uses. For Halo, you can zoom in with a gun. In Safari, click a link with the mouse-wheel and it automatically makes a tab.

Anyways, I have a MX 700 (basically the MX510 without wires or that cool look). It feels great. But, I found wired-mice with long cables make the cursor jump. That's why I ended up buying a wireless mouse. I could be wrong, but Logitech's mice are still cool.
  7. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    The Mx500 series are great for gaming!
    I have a MX500 and i gave a 510 as a gift to a friend os mine a few weeks ago.
    I LOVE the mouse!! (my friend loves his too...)
    OSX recognizes the left/right click and scroll wheel.
    You can use the rest of the buttons for exposé.
    Never bothered about the logitech controlpanel.
    In most games i can use ALL the buttons.
    In Mozilla the back and forth buttons works as back and forward.

Best mouse i ever had (it replaced a ms explorer mouse, which stopped working after 1,5 years of service)
    The mx500 is MUCH better then the MS explorer (my opinion..)

It feels very solid, some might think its heavy.
    If you're a lefthanded stay away from it...
  8. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2003
    i love my MX500, can't vouch for the MX510 except if it's an improvement, all the better.

i had a wireless MS Intellimouse, but i got a new desk w/ a brushed aluminum surface which wigged the wireless out. i didn't think i would find anything that i liked better, but that Logitech is a pretty nice mouse. my only issue w/ it is the button under the scroll wheel. it's great for popping the 'open apps' menu, but it's not easy to get to. you really have to curl that middle finger in to find it.

BTW, get over installing drivers. just b/c one company writes janky drivers doesn't mean they all do. and if you don't like them, remove them. but you can't expect to get all the bells & whistles out of these new mice w/o a little software tacked on.
  9. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I am too looking to get either a MX500 or a MX510. I keep hearing great things about the MX500, and I like the colors better. But from what I've read, the MX510 is the same, except it has a better sensor and different colors.

Can anyone confirm on if it can only do 800dpi if I install the Logitech mouse software? If that's so, I might as well just get the MX500. Cheaper, and the same in the end without the software.
  10. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    I agree. The colors of the 510 are cool, but silver would be better.

If the 510 only improves with the logitech software, then the MX500 is the ticket!
  11. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

May 24, 2003
    The MX510 is a good mouse, however the Logitech driver set is horrible. As applekid mentioned, you can't properly set the middle-mouse button. You can set it to command-click, and it'll open tabs in Safari, but it'll also do unexpected things in different apps. Also, you can't map the back/forward buttons to operate as such without setting it to activate command-left or command-right which has the unexpected side-effect of scrolling through listboxes as well.

If you want to play a classic game, such as Deus Ex, you can forget about using the scroll wheel for changing weapons or items. It won't work with the Logitech drivers.

There is a solution to all of this, and that is to use USB Overdrive. The catch? $20. I can say that after installing the software, this mouse works exactly as it should.