Logitech MX900 (Bluetooth) vs. MX1000 (Lazer)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SAdProZ, Mar 22, 2005.

1. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

What a dilemna. Im torn between the Logitech MX900 and the MX1000. See, the problem is my Apple Bluetooth Mouse is kind of sluggish and imprecise, and only one-button'ed, compared to usb mice at school. So when Im using Adobe Photoshop or illustrator at home, I feel left out.

Ive been on other threads and some people swear by the MX900, some people say it sucks and if im gonna go wireless, its gotta be the MX1000.
    I'd really like to hear from anyone that has had the privilage of trying both.

2. qzak macrumors 6502

exactly what i have been debating today!

i really wanted a bluetooth mouse/keyboard combo that goes together, so i bought the microsoft one to later realize it doesnt work with macs (just got my first mac, not used to checkin that kinda stuff first! :) ). i thought about the apple bt mouse/keyboard combo too, but i want a better mouse.

soo it's the mx900 or 1000 for me i think. i'm going to the apple store tonight after work to pick up the bt apple keyboard, and think i'm just gonna get the mx1000 since they have it there too. it's cheaper than the 900 and seems to have cooler features/better form. the mx900 needs a hub to recharge the batteries anyway, so having the hub for the mx1000 doesnt bother me

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you are a mobile user, definately go BT, it will be better for when you are on the go than having to have the adapter plugged in

if you are going to be using this with a desktop though i would say the MX1000 is the best mouse out there right now, i just wish it was BT, but for a desktop system it doesnt really matter anyways

from everything i have heard and from the little i have use the MX1000 in store it is a kick A** mouse, i would go that route unless you need portablility, where BT wins hands down

4. raddsigns macrumors member

I have the Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse, the keyboard is fine - the mouse is evil. Been using it for about 3 months, and it's unbalanced, the response time is slow, and it's not very accurate - I just couldn't take it anymore.

So I bought the MX1000 (only $59 on Amazon right now) - I also have the MX700 on my PC for gaming - great mouse - but the MX1000 is by far the best mouse I have ever used.

The accuracy is unreal, and it's so comfortable to use for long periods of time.

Granted I do have a bluetooth mouse that I use with my Powerbook, but for office use with my PowerMac, the MX1000 takes the cake for me.

I would highly recommend it.

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I agree with the previous posters. I was in the EXACT same dilemma as you all, and decided to go with the mx1000 as it was cheaper, and apparently faster. Now I no longer have to deal with that 10-15 second gap between awaking from sleep and mouse movement, and it's super precise. I'd say go for it... and the buttons all work great with the Logitch Control Center!!! Woohoo!!

6. ghostee macrumors 6502

Agreed. The MX1000 wakes up and connects instantly. It also is natively supported. It also has a battery meter. It also tracks and works just the same as any wired mouse I've ever used. The battery life is also great, when used moderately it seems to last forever (read: weeks).

7. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

does logitech make a mouse that will run directly through the BT built into the powerbooks? like one without a BT hub? that would be really nice for traveling. i dont mind if it still has a charger, but id like to have the mouse go directly to the bluetooth in the powerbook so that I could take it on the road without a hub.

8. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

The Powerbook will work without the HUB. I've used it on two different Powerbooks and does not have a problem.

All you do is plug in the MX900 in the electric unit ... and charge it up.
    The mouse itself will sync with the Powerbook no problems...

When you travel... its better to take out the rechargable batteries.. or bring a extra set of AA batteries with you.

The MX900 does not have a problem waking from sleep...
    When you open the lid on the Powerbook... all you have to do is click on the MX900 once and give it a second... and it'll work instantly..

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

No contest, none at all. The MX1000 wins hands down. WAY down. The MX900 still needs a cradle to charge, so you can't just lose the cradle. If you really need portability and cradle-less Bluetooth, check out those Radtech mice - they're TINY. But if you want a REAL mouse, the MX1000 pwns all.

[​IMG]

10. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

So the MX1000 doesn't need the cradle to charge? I don't get it :confused:

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The point is if you need the cradle with the MX900 anyway, you lose the only benefit of Bluetooth.

12. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

I don't know if you've used the MX900 or if you've read my post above...

The Powerbook will sync with the MX900 without the craddle through bluetooth.. :eek:

and the MX1000 will work without the cradle?

13. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

ohhh man. that is sooo bad. (chuckle.)

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

No, but once your MX900's battery runs out... off you go fishing for that cradle to charge it on. Then before you know it, you'll get lazy, and take that cradle out of hiding and right on your desk. And Bob's your uncle! You got essentially a MX700 with bad response times! Congrulations!

15. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

So your telling me... The MX1000 batteries WILL NEVER RUN OUT?
    Once the built in lithium-ion runs out... what do you do?
    What do you do when the MX1000 batteries will stop holding a charge after maybe 2 years of usage? Throw it out huh.. built in batteries rock!

Oh wait... you havn't used the MX900.. it uses AA batteries... so once the batteries run out.. you can take them out and change them... WOW :cool:

[​IMG]

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

AA batteries or lithium ion, you still recharge in the cradle. And have YOU used the MX900? Notice how it sucks compared to your prvious mouse (probably USB)? Oh no, don't go and excuse it away because "wired is just always faster than wireless, it's the fact of life". Nope, because the MX1000 acts JUST like a wired mouse, maybe better. It even responds INSTANTLY when you move it after leaving it idling for a while. Try that with the MX900!

The MX900 is maybe a good mouse if you TRULY need a wireless mouse for WHILE travelling. But if you mostly work at a desk... You're just dumb. Similar to how some dumb people buy a Apple 23" display for 1,800 over a Dell 24" for $900. Hmm, wait on a second I think I might have hit on the analog of the year, it's THAT similar... The MX900 is overpriced, more expensive than the MX1000, AND is inferior in performance...

[​IMG]

17. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I typically only post on these forums if I have something to contribute, and not get involved in etiquette, grammer, politics, etc. etc.

But isn't it possible to put forth your arguement without intentionally insulting other people?

18. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

I own a MX900 and when i first switched ... i did find a difference... And this was coming from a Logitech Duo Optical mouse..

But the things is... on the Powerbook.. you can adjust the settings for the mouse... and once i did that... It worked flawlessly..

On a side... People were asking about using a mouse for travel purposes... and i recommended the MX900..

You never got back to me on the built in batteries ... What do you do after 2 years? AA batteries or lithium ion ... you still charge on a craddle right? Well.. what if i told you a had a spare set of AA rechargable batteries lying around... and i also have a spare battery charger from my digital camera that uses AA batteries too... what convience... No craddle required... The craddle is just an added bonus..

I say if you were in the market for a wireless mouse... buy both..
    Goto a store with a 30 day return policy and try them out..

19. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I can say the same for laptops, iPods, and the plethora of gadgets out there that uses lithium-ion batteries. I agree that AA batteries are easier and more convenient, not to mention longer-lasting due to the fact that you can easily swap them out for new ones. If you can't live with lithium-ion, then check out the MX700... Better responsiveness, cheaper and uses AA batteries. The only things the MX900 is good for is for those who travel, and would like to have a mouse that doesn't require a cradle, or for PC users who would like a Bluetooth hub (which the cradle does, which is kind of cool, the MX900 is actually worth it for PC users, since the responsiveness is pretty damn good on PCs, and the Bluetooth hub with the cradle is a plus). But without drivers by Logitech, the MX900's responsiveness on the Mac sucks. And you lose the plus of using the cradle as a Bluetooth hub (cuz you already have one built in :) ).

With that, to avoid the thread getting wastelanded (which I hold much of the blame), we'll just agree to disagree, and let the original poster decide for himself.

20. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

I've never personally used the MX 900 actually had the MX 700 and the MX 1000 I use now has to be by far thee most accurate and responsive mouse I've ever used. Pretty much a joy to work in Photoshop now, definitely better then the MX 700 I had with accuracy, speed, and the battery life (the mx 700 would die after a good solid 2-3 days of use & the mx 1000 goes for what seems to be months). I wish it had BT on it but the RF performance is pretty nice so far.

21. dont24 macrumors regular

Noticed the same thing with my Apple bluetooth mouse. Returned it and bought the MX310, which is wired. Figured I'l use that until I find a good bluetooth mouse.

22. petej macrumors regular

MX1000 is the best mouse I have ever used. The cradle however, is very unportable (is that a real word?). There is a thin acrylic backrest that doubles as the antenna. I'm always terrified that this will break off whenever I put it in my bag with the laptop. That said, I didn't buy it for portability, it is normally firmly tethered to the desk. Without wanting to get involved in the replacable / rechargable batteries debate, when I do take the MX1000 on the road, I never take the power plug, just the cradle. The batteries easily last me a week on a full charge.

23. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I have a MX1000 and love it :) My previous mouse was an Apple BT. I definitely notice a positive difference in response time and control, plus all the buttons are great and it fits my hand nicely. I have an iMac and am not too concerned about portability.

allison.

24. qzak macrumors 6502

got it

like mentioned earlier in this thread, i went to the Apple store last night and picked up the MX1000 and the Apple Wireless Keyboard. I love 'em both. course the keyboard is a little different than i'm used to, but i think i made a good choice going with these two. the mouse is great!

one thing i noticed though, the drivers disk that came with the mouse was only for windows? i had to go to logitech's website to download the mac software for it. unless i missed something, thats pretty messed up, it should include the software in the packaging. other than that though, great mouse

25. raddsigns macrumors member

I just got mine within the last couple of weeks from Amazon, and it had the OSX software on it. Might want to double check that.