Logitech MX900

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Diatribe, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I'm thinking of buying the Mx900 for my iBook, the only question I have is whether you could use the Logitech Control Center software for the Mx700 in order to remap the buttons on the Mx900. It's basically the same mouse isn't it? Has anyone tried that? I would like to be able to get this one rather than the Mx500 with a cable. And no I don't want the Mx700, because I don't want to bother with the transmitter. Thanks in advance.

2. JulesK macrumors 6502

I think that the answer is no, unfortunately.

I think others have written about this - i.e., the mouse works, but the Logitech software does not work with the mouse, so the functionality of the mouse is limited.

3. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

You can program the buttons.

I have the MX900 and i use it without the included bluetooth dongle (because i have built in bluetooth), and to program the buttons I use GamePad Companion from versiontracker.com

Its excellent, and you can program the keys to do basically whatever you want.

4. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Does this mean there is no limit to how you program the buttons, meaning you can program every single one of the 8 buttons? Then I guess I have to look over the fact that it doesn't have an on/off button and go ahead and buy one. :D

5. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I've got a question about battery life, do you charge it, or us AA battery or what... I herd you say there is no "off" swtich.. Thanks

6. Nikko1965 macrumors member

Great stuff

Firstly, it's a crime that Logitech couldn't be arsed to add OSX support for the $99 they charge for what is a dream of a mouse and so we have to pay another $15 to get the mouse to be fully functional via software that was essentially designed for another purpose. It's also annoying to know that this software ability is already within OSX (Expose) but its potential hasn't being fully realised. Too late for 10.3.3?

Secondly, the on/off switch would be convenient but I find I can get a whole 5 working days out of one charge. This is just using it in the office and rarely at home. I think one overnight charge every two days would be sufficient for a couple of hard days clicking. Swapping the batteries in and out will knacker the plastic door sooner rather than later I suspect. The other option is to take a look at mouser.com, find a nice little $2 microswitch and do it yourself. Lots of space around the batteries, drill a hole, snip a wire, solder and you're sorted. It's only a $99 mouse so never mind the warranty nonsense (as if they were ever going to honour it anyway).

Cheers,

Nick

7. dipole macrumors newbie

Just use the charger for the batteries. It doesnt need to be plugged in via usb, just a power outlet.

8. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

GamePad Companion will allow you to program all the buttons to basically do anything. Only thing you can't do is map an application to a button or make a button double click...thats it.

Everything else, like key commands, is possible.

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I bought the MX 900 for my PB 17 Honestly I love the feel of it but the lack of native software (yes you can program the buttons using GamePad Companion) and the lack of an on/off switch really turn me off. I tried taking it on the road with me and the batteries died - I don't want to have to have a mouse that I have to pop the batteries out to turn it off and unlike Nikko I don't have the time to build a custom on/off switch. That and the mouse is just too big for portability sake. I think I might buy the smaller size BlueTake mouse for it's portability.

All said, I'm going to sell it - if anyone wants to make an offer this week before it goes on ebay - just message me. Thanks.

10. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

I have another question, does the mouse stay connected when in the cradle or does it sleep then?
    I don't know whether I should get it, I have the MX700 right now, but I would like to have more range. The only thing I am thinking is maybe I should just get the MX500 with the cable for the go and wait till Logitech comes up with a mouse that has an on/off switch. Any suggestions?