Logitech S530 Laser Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sam0r, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Sam0r macrumors regular

I've recently purchased this product, and I've found it pretty awful.

Although I've not heared of anyone having problems with it.

Basically I want to know, if anyone else with this desktop set has the following problems:

- VERY Laggy mouse
    - Laggy keyboard
    - Pause, Next and Previous track buttons take a while to actually do anything

Thats it for now, but they're really big problems, anyone?

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

do you have encryption turned on? my teacher got one of those for his computer at school and it was insanely laggy with encryption on, but fine with it off.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I bought one and returned it because it wouldn't register with the receiver. I tried both the keyboard and mouse with the receiver from a Logitech Duo setup and they both worked, but I didn't try them long enough to notice if they were laggy or not (but I believe somebody else on this board did report very bad lag). The build quality also seems to leave a lot to be desired. I returned mine immediately (the keyboard and mouse both had a very flimsy feel to them). I bought an MX518 mouse today but have not got a chance to use it yet; I understand that USB Overdrive works well with it.

EDIT: I tried it tonight and it works great with my PB. With no drivers installed the resolution up/dn buttons worked as advertised along with the left, right, middle, and wheel (of course the others were dead). With USB Overdrive, all buttons work but the resolution up/dn buttons cannot be used for resolution control (I have them set for page up/page down), but a fixed resolution can be selected in the driver. It has very smooth feet that make it glide like nothing I have ever seen before. I have the buttons set as follows in USB Overdrive:

Left - Left Clock
    Right - Right Click
    Middle - Expose All windows
    Buttons 4/5 (Side) - Forward/Back
    Button 6 - Dashboard
    Button 7 - Page Up
    Button 8 - Page Down

It would be nice if a similar bluetooth mouse were available, but I don't know of one. Does anybody?

4. Sam0r thread starter macrumors regular

As far as I know this set doesn't support encryption.

I'm thinking it could be my wireless, but I'm not really sure.

The funny thing about this is, that it works perfectly fine on my windows pc.

Its a Mac kit.

Go figure? :confused:

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Check it's not near your wireless base station, or microwave or mobile phone or cordless phone base station. Even hoovers put out a lot of interference while they're on.

Even things like fridge refridgation pumps put out RF interference. (maybe there's one on the other side of the wall?)

6. Teddy's macrumors 6502

Logitech S530 is GREAT!

It works well with my MacBook Pro 17-inch. The only problem I have is when I mess up with the USB receiver. I really like the keyboard, my hands are no longer in pain after hours of extensive use.
    It is a great product.

7. Sam0r thread starter macrumors regular

The ONLY thing that I can think of that could be causing interference is my Dell 2005FPW, and my phone.

But, my pc is on a KVM with my mac, and I don't get the lag under windows with the receiver in the same position.

The receiver is no where near my wireless AP, also my network runs on channel 13 which is furthest away from the 2.4ghz band the wireless keyboard and mouse use.

It is a really nice keyboard and mouse to use, but the mouse lag really really lets it down.

I might send it back for a different one, maybe its a firmware issue.

8. tekmoe macrumors 68000

i also bought the s530 and returned it 2 days later. piece. of. crap.

9. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

That's a shame that some of you guys have such bad experiences with this keyboard and mouse combo because IMO I think it's an amazing product

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ditto. I've had my S530 for almost a week and love it.

11. Sam0r thread starter macrumors regular

Whats the mouse lag like?

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't have any mouse lag. The only lag is when you let the mouse sit for a little bit and it goes into sleep mode and it takes a second to turn back on. Other than that, I haven't noticed any lag.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

awful for lefties :D I was going to buy one until I saw it was right handed only :( So i got a wireless mighty mouse instead. Love it.....

14. Sam0r thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well it seems that mine is faulty.

If I'm the only person experiencing lag on the mouse, then this keyboard set just isn't for me.

I'll contact Dabs and get a replacement.

Thanks for the help guys :)

15. cube macrumors G4

This set works at 27 MHz. That's FAR away from phones, microwaves, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

I've read it's not even the better FastRF tech (which is now old) and slow.

16. Atlasland macrumors 6502

Ditto that too. It kicks ass. (Though the keyboard's legs could be a little sturdier...)

17. raleigh1208 macrumors member

I too just set up the S530 combo with my Mac Mini and it works great. No lag. I plug the USB receiver directly into the back of the Mac Mini.

18. turbodub macrumors regular

Sorry to wake an old thread from the dead, but I'm really thinking about going with this set to use with my macbook in clamshell mode.

One important question: Can I use the keyboard or mouse to wake up the macbook from sleep in clamshell mode? If yes, I think I'm going to pull the trigger...

Thanks!

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i bought one today and i like the mouse a lot but the keyboard... i don't know it feels cheap. The keys atleast feel like they are going to break off. ALso what's with the no light on the caps lock key.....
    I don't think its extremely comfortable.
    what model mouse is? Maybe i'll return this and just get the mouse. I know they don't have a white one but i'll guess i'll survive.