Logitech speakers for my MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by glib, Oct 31, 2006.

1. glib macrumors member

So I have never had a computer with an optical out before. I can the logitech X530 for about the same price as the X230. 5 speakers instead of 2 makes me drool.

Thing is, I've read that the X530's don't support optical, only 3 minijack connections, which doesn't work when my mpb only has a single one. Is there anything that offers a 3 minijack --> optical adapter? This would likely reduce the quality to the lowest denomenator, which would be the analog minijack instead of the optical, but this isn't a huge deal to me.

Is this possible? Or do I have to go for the inferior 2.1 system? :(

It should be mentioned that I don't really care about 5.1 sound, I don't watch many DVDs on my computer. I just want more speakers for more volume since my computer speakers are my home stereo for my downstairs. Someone mentioned to me that I might be able to hook up the 530s in '2.1 mode'? Like just ignore 2 of the minijack connections? Will all the speakers still work if I do that?

2. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

The Solution

Here it is, i have the same speakers i think on a imac, well there 5.1 with the 3 connections and htere logitech.

With the speakers you get this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You need one of these
    [​IMG]

Only Cost me a few quid from tesco.

Same as this
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...R8vg42IQuIkyi/3.PSLID?mco=16A07F18&nplm=T4504

But cost me a tenth of the price

You Set it up like this

[​IMG]
    The End shown not plugged into anythign goes into the optical audio in your imac mb mbp w.e

Hope I helped, its a bit messy but i hide it behind my desk

3. glib thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your help. So to connect that adapter I need what exactly? I cant quite make it out from the picture and the store link says it's timed out and won't let me in.

Is it just a stereo phono to minijack y-adapter? Because I've got about a half dozen of those things kicking around. Hell, there's one plugging my stereo into my laptop right now actually.

I'm really hoping this is all it is.

Thanks again.

4. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

just use stereo speakers, the macbook pro only outputs 5.1 when your watching a dvd with the toslink output, no other time, everything else is 2channel stereo.

5. glib thread starter macrumors member

Well yeah, like I said, 5.1 isn't that important. It's just that 2.1 speakers from logitech cost $60, and I can get this 5.1 set for $75. More speakers should mean better volume, which is important for me.

So, is that just a y-adapter?

6. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Just spend a bit more on some nicer stereo speakers, it will sound better, more speakers rarely means more quality. The fake 2.0 > 5.x results in a very unnatural sound. You will get much better sound quality out of a nice 2.1 speaker set.

7. glib thread starter macrumors member

So you're saying that these will honestly sound better than these?

I find it somewhat hard to believe. I can believe they won't be as stunning without the 5.1, but surely they'll still be better? At the very least, they should be the same quality, but louder?

8. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

In your situation, yes, the 2channel would sound better. You could get the 5.1 ones and only use the front speakers, since the whole 2.0>5.1 is not that great at all.

These would sound better then those others ones. Just invest in better speakers, avoid BOSE, and forget about the whole more is better aspect.:)

9. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

yep get nice stereo speakers !
    there is a reason audiophile systems are still stereo:)

10. glib thread starter macrumors member

Hmm well I may go for the Z-4's then. Only a bit more than the z530's, but sadly nearly twice the price of the z230's... looked through the specs, and the Z-4's are generally better. Two speakers in each satalite rather than just the one 2"er, far better RMS output, although they also have a lower signal to noise ratio and a slightly smaller frequency response (the z230's reach 40Hz while the Z-4's max out at 35Hz).

The remote on the Z-4's looks nice, but it doesn't mention anything about the speakers being wall-mountable, whereas the 230s definitely are. Hmm....

11. glib thread starter macrumors member

I'm doomed.

Got to the store to find they don't normally stock the Z-4's and would have to order special. Fine I think, I've been debating in my head between them and the z2300's, so I'll just splurge on those ones. Get home, plug everything in, and the *****ing things won't even turn on!

I'd venture a guess that the sub has a blown fuse, but I can't get a power light on them no matter where I plug them in at my house, nevermind getting any sound out of em.

Trip back to the store tomorrow, GRR