Logitech VX and MX Driving me CRAZY

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thenewguy, Feb 18, 2007.

1. thenewguy macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    I was able to get my hands on a Logitech VX and MX to test out on the Mac (since they were supposedly fully compatible) and I am going nuts with these things.

Primarily, the fact that General Settings applies to very little, and you have to set the speeds of the wheels and what all the buttons/wheels do for EACH PROGRAM is just absurd! I am constaly finding myself using a new program, and I have to take up to 10 minutes to compare all the settings between that program and past ones to make sure it will keep its settings. The mouse feels fine once you get it set up, but considering that one is likeley to continually use new programs, that setup is never really done.

In frustration I unplugged the damn thing (the MX is what I was using mostly) and plugged in my old logitech 510. It worked perfectly once I adjusted the tracking speed. One setting for all programs. Is there no way to do that with the MX/VX?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

have you installed the Logitech control panel? for some reason it doesn't sound like you have. i have the MX Revolution and i have had zero configuration problems with it.

3. thenewguy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I have - that's where the problems lie - with having to set up the specifications for each individual program in that drop down menu.

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I have the VX, and for the short time I used the Logitech software I experienced the same problem. My solution was to remove the predefined application-specific profiles they had and only use "Global". That worked, but it kept forgetting my settings so I ultimately went with Steermouse.

So start by deleting all the specific app profiles and see if that does anything for you.

5. hidea macrumors regular

Logitech Control Centre version 2.1.3 is the best out of all. There are a few little bugs here and there, but none that would annoy me. Unlike 2.1.1 and 2.1.2

6. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

i totally bypassed the software that came with the VX, mostly because it hogs a lot of resources, even on my XPS which is a monster. im fine without all the programmable aspects, and if you are too, you wont have a problem.

7. Rokusaburo macrumors member

Rokusaburo

You should consider getting SteerMouse software (Shareware) to replace the Logitech Control Centre ot whatever it's called. You can allocate button commands and tracking speeds for general use (i.e. all programs) as well as having program-specific commands.

I'm currently using it with my MightyMouse and I love it. To give you an example, I use the scroll wheel to open Safari, but when I'm in Safari, the scroll wheel becomes a "Button 3", allowing me to use it to open links in new tabs.

I'm considering buying the MX Revolution too and I've read great reviews from people using it with SteerMouse.

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

All you have to do is to delete all the settings bar the Global settings. Define specifics only for programs which you need radically different behaviour from the mouse.

Also there's something not quite right with the MX driver for Mac. Works flawlessly in Windows for me, especially the wheel acceleration switch. Doesn't seem to do so well under OS X. VX driver seems problem-free.

9. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

I just picked up the MX Revolution today and had a heck of a time getting the latest drivers to even recognize that I had a Logitech mouse.

The mouse ran fine, in basic mode. But I couldn't bring up the control panel to assign controls to the different buttons. After searching around on the web I noticed some people reverted back to the 2.1.1 drivers, and when I did that I could program it. So far so good. The only thing is, I tried making the little top button programmed to hit "F12" to bring up Dashboard...but every time I tried to program the "F12", instead of recording the key, it just brought up Dashboard...so I couldn't program that in. Same thing for Exposé.

Though it's not a good sign when the LATEST drivers introduce more bugs instead of fixing bugs and making things stable.

Love the feel of the mouse though, and having the scroll wheel stay in the silky smooth scrolling is fantastic.

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Open up Dashboard & Expose prefs, temporarily disable the shortcut key for what you want, program that key into Logitech Control Center, and then re-enable the shortcut key in Dashboard & Expose prefs.

11. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

DUH! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks a lot, worked like a charm!

12. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Use Steermouse, I dont know it personal but my bro just got his MX Revolution, on sale for $79 and he using it.

13. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I am having the same problems with my mx, where can i get this 2.1.1? I have the 2.1.3 kinda sucks. Let me know :)

14. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

You can get them through VersionTracker. I think there's a small menu for it and it let's you choose which version you want to download.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14421&vid=318379

15. saxondale. macrumors 6502

I have the VX, didn't install anything and it works perfectly.

16. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Oh, just installing it without the drivers isn't a problem. It will work fine as a regular mouse. But what you can't do without the driver is program the myriad of buttons on the thing. And spending this much on a mouse you'd want it to act more than just a regular one.

17. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

18. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant