Logitech z-2300 THX Does anyone own?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WillMak, Dec 26, 2005.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    Does anyone here own these speakers? I bought one and I'm wondering whether or not I got a defective unit. When I put my mac's volume to full and turn the z2300's speaker dial all the way down, it still outputs sound! The sound is very faint, but all the previous speakers I've ever owned have all muted the sound when the dial was turned all the way down. I'm curious if anyone who has this unit also has this "problem?"
  2. emaja macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have them and lke them quite a bit. Turning them all the way down does indeed mute them completely.

By any chance do you have them plugged all the way in? I have heard some sound when I didn't, so that may be the issue.
  3. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    hmm, do you have your mac's master volume turned all the way up when you do this?
  4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2002
    I've heard from a guy at a hi-fi store that when you're using computer speakers not to have your machine's master volume up all the way, it degrades the sound. Try having sound around 75% or plug in via optical cable if it's available to you.
  5. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    oh okay, thanks for the tip!
  6. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.

Not sure about an "analog connection" since that 2300 uses only that type of connection to connect to a PC.

If you connect via "optical link" to iMac G5 it will automatically max out the output system volume, you have no control from the Mac as the external console of the speaker takes over. Some PC speaker do not have any external volume control in that case the Mac is the only way to control the sound. :)
  7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    I think you are referring to a line-out. The 2300s have only a mini-plug connector, which works with a line-out output if you have access to one (such as on the back of an iPod base).