Logitech Z-5500?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dotdotdot, May 15, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

A new thread about a Logitech product! (I already ordered the MX1000 I began a thread about)

ANYWAY, Amazon.com offers these 505 Watt speakers for 35% less than the normal value of over $400. That comes to about $250 - with $150 left in a gift certificate, and $150 of my own money, I can afford this (of course I need to convince my dad...)

Anyway, does anyone who have these know the performance? I have heard the Z680s I think they are called hooked up to an amazing sound card with DTS enabled... an older model but those sound AMAZING.

I hear these are the way to go for speakers.

2. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

From what I have heard, they are great, EXCEPT, the 680s beat them in terms of just listening to music. Harmonic differences or something. But it's only a minor difference. Just don't turn the volume up too high. The 680s are designed to make your house shake at full volume. The 5500s will make the whole street shake.

3. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

But I can adjust that, right?

The Z-5500s I thought would be better than the Z-680s just because they ARE the Z-680s with added features and a new(er) design

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I see your taking my advice ;)
    They are huge speakers. The sub is ginormous. The control thingy is huge. I bought to go in my dorm room, open the box saw the sub. Packed up and left to return them. Instead i got the Altec ones.
    They are good speakers that sound amazing. If you have room for them get them. I think you should check out the size of these bad boys..

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have JBL (Harmon Kardon) Creature 2 speakers and i LOVE them, they sound great! I have no need for surround, and these speaker are quite honestly the best ive heard. I got them for $70 from Harmon Kardon Direct. Good luck speaker shopping

Ed

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I have the 5500. All the reviews show the 5500 to be a slight upgrade to the 680s.

Anyhow, performance is...well, incredible. I'm really pleased. Be aware, the sub is HUGE and can shake your house. :) It's awesome. Multiple inputs: optical, analog, and coax. I have my PM plugged in digital and my PC (Audigy) via the analogs. I don't use the remote but it's pretty cool to have.

In short, I don't have a bad thing to say about these speakers. They give my home theater system a run for its money. :)

Oh, one thing I really liked is that the speaker cables are really long, something like 10-15' each. First surround speakers that I didn't have to get creative on trying to wire. I really appreciated this.

7. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

8. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Having never seen a 680 I can't answer that. :) Would you like me to measure?

9. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Just a question - anyone know if these work with Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound cards?

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Why wouldn't they? Inputs are digital optical, digital coax, and 6 channel direct (analog).