Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weenie

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
...The initial $30 price tag seemed expensive...

And that's the only thing holding me back so far.

I have read someone mentioned that the price was reduced to $20 sometimes ago. Does anyone how often that happened and when was the last time ?

With this thread going, it would seem that NOW is the perfect time to reduce and get a bunch of new customers.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
And that's the only thing holding me back so far.

I have read someone mentioned that the price was reduced to $20 sometimes ago. Does anyone how often that happened and when was the last time ?

With this thread going, it would seem that NOW is the perfect time to reduce and get a bunch of new customers.

Appshopper is your friend. It is a sister sight to this site. Appshopper.com has a history of prices, increase/decrease. If you create a free account, there is a wishlist function. This wishlist syncs with the iPhone/Ipad app. When there is a change in price/update, you are alerted. This is how I got the app for 20 bucks. That is the lowest price I have seen.

Last edited:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Never really used log me in however I have splash top and have used iteleport and wyse pocket cloud. Iteleport is the best but no sound support. Wyse is pretty good but no sound support. Splash top sucks but has sound so is the one I use. The reason it sucks is because the mouse control is horrible. Iteleport has the best mouse control of those three and then pocket cloud. Splash top makes you see how crappy a windows 7 tablet would be because the touch interface isn't accurate enough to control a mouse pointer and splash top is the only one who hasn't tried to address that

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I have used Splashtop before. As others has said, you need to be at home when you use it which limits the software. But, when I did use it, it was nice. There is one website i frequent that uses flash and it allows me to view the flash video and hear the audio.

The downside is you generally have to rearrange all of your audio settings on the PC to get the audio to work. In the long run it wasnt worth having to switch it around all the time.

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
Please stop saying Splashtop only works when you are home.
You CAN open ports in your router and make it works from anywhere (even over 3G). However, TeamViewer and LogMeIn are easier to configure for most people.

Blarneystone

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Appshopper is your friend. It is a sister sight to this site. Appshopper.com has a history of prices, increase/decrease. If you create a free account, there is a wishlist function. This wishlist syncs with the iPhone/Ipad app. When there is a change in price/update, you are alerted. This is how I got the app for 20 bucks. That is the lowest price I have seen.

I've kept my eye on logmein for a long time and haven't seen it reduced for awhile now. Gotta ask yourself if the increased productivity is worth a $10 difference.

I have tried all but 2-3 of these clients and LMI's ease, speed and enhanced mouse features make it worth it to me. YMMV

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
I've kept my eye on logmein for a long time and haven't seen it reduced for awhile now. Gotta ask yourself if the increased productivity is worth a $10 difference.

I have tried all but 2-3 of these clients and LMI's ease, speed and enhanced mouse features make it worth it to me. YMMV

Have you tried TeamViewer ?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
This is an easy one. LogMeIn Ignition all the freaking way. I used to suffer with TeamViewer. Sure it's "free" but the annoying pop-ups about "FOR NON-COMMERICAL USE ONLY!" turned me off real quick. This program is easily worth the $29.99 and probably then some, especially if you do this stuff for a living.

There's a lot of these clones and similar apps but I can't see wasting $10 or $15 or even $20 and then you'll still end up with LogMeIn in the end as it is superior to these others anyway!

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

I don't know what you consider "awhile", the last price decrease was December 29, 2010. The price decrease for this app is not frequent.

Attachments

• logmein.JPG
    logmein.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 128

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I have used Splashtop before. As others has said, you need to be at home when you use it which limits the software. But, when I did use it, it was nice. There is one website i frequent that uses flash and it allows me to view the flash video and hear the audio.

The downside is you generally have to rearrange all of your audio settings on the PC to get the audio to work. In the long run it wasnt worth having to switch it around all the time.

Either you didn't read every post or you don't know enough about PCs/MACs and routers. See post below. Stop spreading false information unless you know what you are talking about.

You CAN open ports in your router and make it works from anywhere (even over 3G). However, TeamViewer and LogMeIn are easier to configure for most people.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009

Sorry, I must have forgotten my secret decoder ring.

Either you didn't read every post or you don't know enough about PCs/MACs and routers. See post below. Stop spreading false information unless you know what you are talking about.

Nope, sure dont read every post. Sorry, don't have time to. I stand corrected by you though, my King. I wasn't aware that my obviously deliberate "spreading of false information" was causing so much emotional trauma to you.

weenie

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010

I hear you. I already have LMI Ignition on the PC (found 50% off code) so could make do until the sale of LMI for iPad or when the version on PC expired.

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
Nope, sure dont read every post. Sorry, don't have time to. I stand corrected by you though, my King. I wasn't aware that my obviously deliberate "spreading of false information" was causing so much emotional trauma to you.

You are the one over reacting now...
He just asked you to stop talking about stuff you don't know / spread false infos. So can you please just do it and **** :D

Blarneystone

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I don't know what you consider "awhile", the last price decrease was December 29, 2010. The price decrease for this app is not frequent.

I missed the last price drop. It looks like we'll have to wait until Dec. 2011 for the next one..

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

LOL! Good one :)

Blarneystone

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Does this app justify the price tag ????? what are the other functionality

That's hard to say. For me it does. I run a network, so being able to work on servers via my iPad is a good thing. Logmein adds a 'smoothness' where some things seem actually easier than using a keyboard & mouse.

This past weekend, I probably was on it for 6 or more hours. If you intend on using it a lot, then yeah. It is a professional product. But if you are just curious, or want it to do 10 minutes of tasks a week, then no, you'd be fine with Pocketcloud or Splashtop.

kayleejames

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
That's hard to say. For me it does. I run a network, so being able to work on servers via my iPad is a good thing. Logmein adds a 'smoothness' where some things seem actually easier than using a keyboard & mouse.

This past weekend, I probably was on it for 6 or more hours. If you intend on using it a lot, then yeah. It is a professional product. But if you are just curious, or want it to do 10 minutes of tasks a week, then no, you'd be fine with Pocketcloud or Splashtop.

Thanks Blarneystone for ur reply :)

floridonet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2011
Irvine, CA

I tried LogMeIn free and didn't go with Ignition for one reason. Your computer is left in the clear when you're connected to it. You lose privacy and security. If it worked more like RDP, I think I would have gone this route.

Please correct me if LogMeIn has this feature and I was just unaware. I think GoToMyPC works similarly.

Blarneystone

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I tried LogMeIn free and didn't go with Ignition for one reason. Your computer is left in the clear when you're connected to it. You lose privacy and security. If it worked more like RDP, I think I would have gone this route.

Please correct me if LogMeIn has this feature and I was just unaware. I think GoToMyPC works similarly.

by "left in the clear" do you mean screen on or something else?

in Logmein ignition, you can set it to lock the keyboard and disconnect the remote computer's display. I've tried breaking into the session (at the remote computer) while LMI is connected and see no way to do it.

floridonet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2011
Irvine, CA
Yes. Your computer is unlocked and exposed. Others can see your actions as if you were there. Is this a matter of configuration? Or you're saying you can lock your keyboard/mouse so no one can physically hijack the session, but they can still see your actions?

Blarneystone

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Ok, here's how to do the setting.

in the LMI app on ipad connect to your remote PC. Click the settings button in the iPad app. Choose "Blank Screen" and Disable remote keyboard.

It will install an additional app to the remote computer that disables the monitor and locks the keyboard when you connect.

iwbyte

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
I haven't heard someone say that they've gotten LogMeIn to work with remote sound on iPad yet. I am using free version of splashtop in the home. I was going to use it out of my network from another location (over wifi) but it seems to have frozen on my iMac and I can't figure out how to force quit it without logging out and/or restarting the iMac (in other words, disrupting all my other programs).

Anyone know how to force quit Splashtop on the Mac side?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.