logo design

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ahmadof, Aug 29, 2004.

1. ahmadof macrumors member

does anyone know of a reputable / creative place for logo design that won't break the bank?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Depends on what you need, there might even be some kind soul here on MacRumors that might whip something up for free.

3. Mblazened macrumors regular

i might be able to help you out. Go to my website maxforward.com and if you like what you see then email me. I'm not a professional logo designer or anything but I'll give you a good rate.

-m

4. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I'm a designer with a BFA in Communication Design, currently working as the creative director for a large insurance company and enjoy doing little projects like this.

Logos are my favorite type of design. Email me what you are looking for, and if it sounds like something I want to tackle, I would be willing to do it for $25 (I REALLY need a new PS2 controller!).

BTW, you can view some of my past logos and see what awards I've won and what-not at:

http://www.kevinbabcock.net

5. gernb macrumors regular

I'm sure you are just looking to do someone a favor, but I can't even begin to tell you how bad that is for the profession. Saw your URL...your stuff looks pretty good. You should value yourself more.

6. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I think of it as pro-bono work. I'm doing someone a favor. If you think doing someone a favor is bad for the profession, maybe you're in the wrong profession (if you are a designer). I'm just here to design, and if I can take a break from my corporate life and do something that's a little bit inspired for someone else, then I'm gonna do it. I am lucky enough to make enough money to not have to ask for a lot from little side projects. Hell I'd probably do it for free if I didn't need a new PS2 controller so bad. Designing is a joy, and so is helping someone out. I take great enjoyment from that...that is my reward. Well that, and I may want to use it for my portfolio if it's good enough. But don't come on here and tell me that doing a logo for someone for $25 once every few months is bad for "the profession," because it's not. And if there's two things that I've learned so far as a designer, it's 1) The cream always rises to the top, and the best designers always...ALWAYS...are the most successful, and 2) Being able to do creative work is a gift, and is not something I'm about to throw away the chance to do.

There is something that one of my professors said to me that will always stay with me, "A graphic designer is there to make someone else money." While that is completely true in that that is why a designer works for someone else, I know that myself and others I know have to design for ourselves every once in a while. To be able to create is a gift....to be stifled by uncreative people is reality. If I sound jaded, it's because I am. The bottom line is this...if I'm undervaluing myself, it's because MAYBE I take more away from doing a logo than the MONEY. I don't know any designers that got into this profession for the money....however it's a sad fact that many forget that when they start making money. I never want to forget why I got into design, and doing something like this for someone else is a way to keep me grounded. Not everyone is motivated by money.

EDIT: By the way, if your arguement of how what I am willing to do is bad for "the profession" stems from not being able to find freelance work because of low bids, or because my offer somehow lowers the collective "value" of the design community...I'm sorry but that is bullsh|t. If you are a good enough designer, and participate in the design community through competitions and publications, and get out there and show your work around, then you don't need freelance logo sidejobs. Jobs will come to you...and in this profession you really are paid by how good of a designer you are. Nobody gets anywhere in this profession through faking it. I know people like that, and they work at sign shops and Kinkos. If you are a good designer, people will know it and pay you what you are worth. I'm not even claiming to be a good designer myself...I haven't done enough work to have an opinion about my stuff yet. But I can tell you that professional design studios, advertising firms, and even successful in-house marketing departments don't give a crap about me doing a logo for $25.

7. angelneo macrumors 68000

I'm sorry that you look at it this way. I'm guessing gernb comes from another perspective and he sounds pretty encouraging.

8. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

here here!

i agree with peyote... i too am a designer and i think it is great that he wants to do someone a favor to further increase the asthetic state of the world. the problems you speak of are not brought about by people being nice and doing favors its brought around by people seeking to turn design into a "mill" of sorts sacrificing true passion and creativity for generic crappy quick designs. you know the shops i speak of the "we'll do all your branding AND make you web page for 500 dollars" people. how much personal thought and intrinsic value do they put into the face of those companies? none. to truly make a company's image you need to SEE them. research what they do, and create something that embodies their strategy and postion. anyway...thats a rant. :D sorry!

and by the way... you pay peyote $25 and i will pitch in and do you a few extra comps for nada (as long as you tke peyote up on his offer) so once you contact him, let me know and i'll give you my e-mail to send me your info.

i commend peyote for his gesture in an oft un-friendly world were we all tend to only think me me me. here's to generosity!

9. gernb macrumors regular

Peyote:

Sorry you read me wrong. I wasn't jumping on your case. I was just saying that good design is worth more than people tend to acknowledge...and definitely more than $25.

If you've got time and the heart to take on jobs for free, you are a better man than me. Or may just have a different perspective.

I wasn't suggesting you are responsible for good designers starving (and no, I'm not in those ranks...work is great here). Cheap clients and clients who are clueless enough to think design is simply a matter of knowing photoshop are more culpable there.

10. JLS macrumors 6502

11. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi Kevin,

you make really great stuff ! Just checked your website. Its just really really hard to read. Maybe you think about using more colors.

Cheers

12. angelneo macrumors 68000

13. Spizzo macrumors 6502

www.pixel-junkies.com

They take about a week, but it's the best price. Free. Just some guys who like playing with their adobe stuff. They just did a logo for me, came out real goood. :D

14. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Thanks for the critique! :D :D :D

Anyway, I don't really care if people like my website...That's why I'm not a website designer, and that's why I didn't ask what people thought! :D

15. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I agree, it is hard when a client doesn't know about the field of design...Sorry if I was defensive, I'm just very proud of being a part of the design community!

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

play nice and get back on topic.

what sort of logo are you looking for?

D

17. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

hey angelneo...

GREAT WORK... nice balance and motion without throwing flash in your face! very subtle. tell you're friends great job (as well as yourself). :)

18. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

yes officer! :D

19. Mblazened macrumors regular

well, he gave me the job so y'all can just move along...

20. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I hope he made the right decision. :)

21. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

Feeding the Soul does not feed the belly

As a professional designer of 17 years experience I can say I have seen a lot of changes in the industry. I have noticed a steady decline in the perception of design's value. This may be due partly to the introduction of desktop publishing tools aimed at complete novices. Many vendors sell the ease of creating "professional" results with no training or effort. That and the fact that many of the general public has little or no appreciation of good design. It really does not help when people undercut their rates below what would be possible to sustain a business. It just reinforces the perception that the service was not worth much in the first place. This is true of any industry. I'm happy doing services for exchange or sponsorship, but freebies do not do anyone any favours. I think as a member of any profession, you have a responsibility beyond your own backyard.

Now you can burn me down too... http://www.frontdesign.com.au

22. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I'll do you a logo for free... I don't do it as a business or anything, though I've designed a few logos for people I did websites for, and needed logos:

http://www.cadillaclibrary.org

23. Mblazened macrumors regular

Well, to be honest I was confused by your site as well. Seemed kind of artsy without any art. Although the term "designer" can be applied to many professions, i think some of the sites posted demonstrate works that are better described as "digital collages." Sometimes I think the advent of computer illustration has brought upon us an epidemic of wannabes who's abilities are limited to cut and paste with randomized blur effects and font styles. Anybody can do that, and everybody IS doing that. I probably got the job because my sight shows a wide range of artistic ability, without relying on gimmicky flash layouts that are really more annoying than informative. Is anybody out there with me on this?

24. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

i would suggest not stirring the pot...

quit while you are ahead... i wouldn't draw the ire of people here. you are already coming off pretty smug and pretentious. let it go. for the sake of everyone.

25. angelneo macrumors 68000

Thanks technocoy. I really appreciate your comments.

I'm sure most of us has background in conventional design skills that we normally don't display online. I personally love to do portraits of people in pencil or charcoal but just don't have the time to scan to put online. peace... people

I agree with you RubberChicken. It makes it a lot tougher for aspiring designers to start their own business.