Lombard G3 HD upgrade?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Cindy, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Cindy macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2003
    Just curious if the old Lombard G3 with the standard 6 GB can be upgraded?
  2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2005

Standard 2.5" HDD

3. SchmoBurger macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2005
    Just one thing to remember though... the Lombard doesn't support ATA-6 drives, so if you upgrade the drive make sure it is ATA-5 compliant. I think the ATA-6 standard sarted to become common with 40 and 60 gig drives, but you should still be able to easily obtain an ATA-5 40Gb unit pretty cheaply...

trust in Schmo, for he is also a Lombard owner... :D
  4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Yup have a look for a 20gb+ ATA-5 2.5" drive on ebay, you should pick one up at a nice price...

5. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2003
    Thanks for the tip. I found a 20 GB for 119.00 and a 40 GB for 150.00. I'll have to check out ebay for a possible lower price.
    First thing will be to upgrade the RAM.
  6. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2003
    Talking about ram upgrades.... I found a source to buy some ram for my Lombard G3. Since it is coming with a measley 64MB.
    Just for kicks, I called the local Mac shop here and asked if they could upgrade my Lombard. They said, "yes, but since it's a very old machine, it's going to be very costly and it can only be upgraded to about 384MB at the most."
    Good thing I did my homework beforehand!!
    He said it would cost about 160.00 just for the ram and they will install it for free.
    I had to laugh to myself. I asked how much to install if I bought my own ram. He said, "15.00"
    hmmm.... I can get 128MB for 19.00 and 256MB for 38.00. And I heard the Lombard can be upgraded to 512MB not just 300.
    Do these people just not know or care or want to make $$$.
    I'm so tired of being ripped off! It pays to do homework. It's happening more and more with everything - not just computers :mad:

Anyway, I need to take my eMac in for repairs but now I'm hesitant to take it in. Or finding the right person. I'm pretty sure it's the flyback transformer but who knows what they will tell me.
    I have a guy at work who works on all the Macs -- it's a university.
    I'm thinking about asking him if he would look at mine and see what he thinks.
  7. pubwvj macrumors 68000

Oct 1, 2004
    Mountains of Vermont
    Yes, and it is one of the easiest upgrades to do yourself. Drives are cheap now.