Lombard Powerbook 400 - D E A D - ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Charlie, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Charlie macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Im new to macs. I got a second hand powerbook recently. The Lombard bronze keyboard jobby. Now i had trouble with it for a while and then it said "cache problem" . It wont work correctly and after a bit of research i found out that the cache memory fails on the processor daughterboard after 3 or 4 years. Is it worth me getting an upgrade card (they seem abit unreliable from what i have read) or strip the machine and sell the parts off? I paid £275 for the machine and got an external scsi cd burner with it. (16x).
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers Charlie.

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well I have a Lombard that I've used since it came one on May of 1999 and it's still working flawlessly. If you like your PowerBook and you're willing to spring for the upgrade card, go for it. It's a pretty nice machine and it's been extremely reliable for me, I'm sorry to hear you've had mixed blessings with yours.

3. powerbookmedic macrumors member

The cache problem is a problem on all of the G3 Lombard and Pismo processor cards...even the upgrades. Upgrade companies normally use the stock processors for upgrading, so it doesn't get rid of the problems inherent in the processors. Furthermore, the upgrades for the Lombard aren't all that stable, and many have heat problems. I'd probably reccomend getting a replacement 400mhz processor, but make sure the revision is a Lonestar 3.1...the 2.1 is the series that is plagued with problems.

-Bradley

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Is this a big issue? I've used my Lombard as my main computer pretty intensively for well over 4 years an never had a single problem with this, nor have I ever heard of it being a problem. :confused:

5. powerbookmedic macrumors member

It's a very big issue, probably one of the biggest Lombard problems. Is mainly affected the Lombard processors which are Revision 2.1...the 3.1 processors rarely have problems....to check which revision you have there is a program out there called PPC checker... (OS9)...Do a search on Google to find it. If you haven't had problems in 4 years, then it's likely your processor is ok, but then again the cache can fail at the drop of a hat.

-Bradley

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

7. powerbookmedic macrumors member

The 2.2 series is rather problematic. I'd watch it. If the unit starts behaving badly with frequent freezes and you start to get cache errors then you know what's going on.

-Bradley

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well, considering it's been over 4 years and I've never had an error message and I cannot even remember when it's ever crashed, I'd have to say I've been pretty lucky. I'm surprised to hear of this being such an issue since I've met a few people on these forums who have a Lombard without any problems, as well. Ah well, I'm set on getting a new PowerBook once the unbelievable happens and they are updated (sometime around the next ice age I believe), so 4 1/2 years of faithful service have given me quite the appreciation for this machine. It's even been through 3 hurricanes and many rather abusive roommates. Not to mention a dog who seems to enjoy jumping up onto the table and walking across the keyboard.

9. Charlie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Powerbookmedic,
    do you know where i can get a replacement Lonestar 3.1 card?
    Is it availiable from apple?
    Btw does anyone know how much the lombard is worth as spares? Im still not sure what to do with it. The 400mhz replacment card sounds better than the 500mhz upgrade option. From what ive read these 500mhz cards seem unstable and get very hot.
    Cheers Charlie.:confused:

10. powerbookmedic macrumors member

You can order the card from us. If you do, just make sure to email us that you'd like the 3.1 card. The Lombard 400 with dead cache is probably worth around $300-$400... We also buy broken units if you're looking to sell.

-Bradley

11. Charlie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanxs Bradley,
    the only problem is that im in the UK. Could you tell me how much the 3.1 card costs?
    Cheers Charlie.

12. powerbookmedic macrumors member

We sell them for $219.95. We ship to the UK. If you're going to buy, make sure you email us first to make sure we've got a 3.1 in stock. We sell out pretty quickly.

-Bradley

13. Charlie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats great,
    thanks for your help.
    Cheers Charlie.

14. Charlie thread starter macrumors newbie

Btw,
    i`ve had a proper look at your site now and i must say its the best mac spares site ive seen. Good one.:)

15. powerbookmedic macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. We designed the site for the powerbook community with the customer in mind. All feedback, positive and negative has been taken into consideration in improving the site. Thanks again.

-Bradley

16. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Went to your site, but it looke like you've reached your bandwisth limit for the month. I'll check back again later.

Regards,
    Gus

17. powerbookmedic macrumors member

We're back online. We were only offline for about 15 minutes. There have been some articles posted online about our site, and that spiked our bandwidth over our 15GB limit...We've upgraded our systems to allow for the peak demand.

-Bradley