Lombard Woes

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Daedalus256, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

My lombard has been acting up. Here are the list of symptoms.

1. Sometimes it will wake up from a sleep, other times it just won't. I mean it stays on and everything and I have to take the battery out/unplug it to reboot it.

2. Wifi adapter locks up. Sometimes it'll be working fine and then just stop responding. If I try to remove it the system locks up or it gives me the "Restart your computer" message.

3. Just today I tried to boot it up after reseating some stuff and well...it gives me the folder icon with a question mark. What? Seriously OSX is installed the drive and everything.

4. When I install Panther, it typically nowadays gives me errors when installing stuff from the second disc.

I may note that this thing has a new 333mhz processor in it. It does NOT have a PRAM battery though, which I think may be causing these issues.

Any thoughts?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Have you reset the PRAM? And it doesn't have a PRAM battery, or no PRAM battery needed? If it requires a PRAM battery and doesn't have one, then yes, that's a problem.

I might also suggest a harddrive test on the machine (startup with OS 9 CD) and disc utility the thing. Backing up and wiping the drive might be a good idea.

Somehow the problems seem related, but I cannot put a finger on what. I have never had experience with logic board failures, so I'm not going to suggest that.

3. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I've had RAM cause some of that stuff before...usually it's marginal to begin with and just flakes out over time. I had a Wallstreet that could:

use a PCMCIA Wifi adapter
    wake from sleep every time
    install OS X and be very stable

As long as it only had 128MB of memory. When I tried to add the 256MB SO-DIMM i had in it, it'd only occasionally wake from sleep, it'd frequently drop the wifi card and only a reboot would help, and get a kernel panic within a few hours of use.

Oh, did Apple ship a hardware test CD with that machine? When I had the flaky memory, I had no hardware test CD to use (because it was an Old World machine) but TechTool Pro was helpful.

4. Daedalus256 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok first off:

no it doesn't require the PRAM to run. Infact my friend (who is a mac genius admin at the local apple store) said that I wouldn't even really need it if it I had a real working battery installed (which I do)

Couldn't be the RAM. Same friend and I did some mem tests and I've ran TechTools Pro 4 on it a few times without any warnings or problems popping up.

I did notice when the OSX installer didn't detect my HDD that I may have accidentally dislodged the HDD cable which I put in the new processor. So I plugged it in firmly and had no issues installing OSX and I'm currently testing to see if it wakes up from sleep after it's been down for a while.

edit: also I've never had a kernel panic with this machine.

5. Daedalus256 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to wrap things up here...(and explain to everyone how this was fixed for future reference)

The HDD must have been causing the problems. I must have disconnected it slightly causing it to not locate it at key times or something because the machine has operated without error for more than a day now.

EDIT: Also note that I reseated my processor and move the RAM chips around, placing the 128 stick on the bottom and the 256 on the top. Hey, I'm just putting what I did here incase someone else comes along with a similar issue and needs help! :)

6. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a