London Bombings: No connection to Iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Tony Blair and his cabinet colleagues have repeatedly expressed the view that the war in Iraq and the foreign policies of the British government are not responsible for the bombings in London.

Well, one of the perpetrators begs to differ... whose words do you believe?

The full text of the videotape of Mohammad Sidique Khan, one of the four 7 July bombers, which was aired on Arabic television channel al-Jazeera and in which he explains his motives.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4206800.stm

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think if we could do it over we would have followed Sr's rule and let Saddam stay in power, Jr didnt listen to Daddy.

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Still waiting for the liberal media to be all over this one.

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that terse and elliptical statement.

This man was a British citizen, born & bred here -- why and how he identifies himself with millions of others all over the world instead of others of his own nationality shows the problem we are up against.

As well as condemning his actions, my revulsion is also with those politicians who have sought to distance themselves and the consequences of their policies from these criminal acts, clearly provoked by our adventures elsewhere in the world.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Xtremehkr was being sarcastic (it makes sense if you are a regular down here).

On a fairly regular basis someone will blame the "liberal media" in the US for making things appear worse than they are because they (the liberal media) just want to Bush look bad. But when things like your OP or the Downing Street Memo's pop up the "liberal media" (which is apparently always looking for ways to undercut Bush) in the US doesn't pick up the story (or if they do it's back page stuff).

Hmmm... I feel like I'm doing a very poor job of explaining this inside joke. :(

Lethal

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I pop in from time to time but must admit that went completely over my head. Still, it's only 6am here and I haven't had any coffee yet... :eek:

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Kudos Lethal. No offense taken BV, without knowing what I meant, I would have taken it the same way.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

6am... ick. Long night or early morning?

Anytime the phrase "liberal media" is used in a serious fashion down here there is a collective ":rolleyes:"

Lethal

9. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Both. Not sleeping well due to post-surgical pain and healing. Still, that's what naps are for...

As a Kiwi/European, I find the use of the word 'liberal' as a slur by many Americans a real puzzle and historically absurd.

'And are you now or have you ever been a Liberal?'
    That's what it smacks of to me...

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Ouch. Hope you get all better soon. :)

I might as well contribute at least on topic post to this thread...;)

I think it's ignorant to believe that the actions that have been taken in Iraq won't produce more attacks. In the short term, at least. Hopefully in the long term though (10yrs, 20yrs, down the road) the actions taken in Iraq will help reduce terrorism.

Lethal

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is why I like to put the term "liberal media" in quoty thingies. ;) Pretty muches negates the arguement when people say stuff like that, especially when they're talking to people who aren't liberals. I have a guy on my ignore list who called the BBC part of the "liberal media" conspiracy. :confused: But FOX is a bastion of reliable news. :rolleyes: You just can't argue with that.

But yeah, of course it's because of stuff like Iraq. Anybody who doesn't understand that must get all their news from Rush and O'Reily. :p Spit in the face of an angry dog, then you wonder why you got bit?

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Wasn't it that SH and OBL actually hate each other, and therefore none of the terrorist attacks have anything to do with Iraq, other than they're both Muslim?

13. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Denial is not just a river in Egypt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4210566.stm

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm also puzzled by the use of liberal in the US sense.In the case of the "liberal media" it appears to mean the exact opposite of what it does in english.Any look at at US major media industry players will show they are skewed to the right of Genghis.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Reporters seem to be more socially liberal, while the media itself seems to be owned by those of a neo-conservative nature. Even then, what is liberal to us is probably more moderate to most of the rest of the world. What is moderate here, conservative everywhere else. What is conservative to us, is probably abhorrent to you. True liberals wouldn't get very far here.