London Bombings (Tube warning after 'bang' heard): The political discussion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lau, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Lau Guest

London Bombings (Tube warning after 'bang' heard): The political discussion

This is awful. It's really good that Muslim leaders are condemning the attacks, but terrible that they have to warn Muslims (particularly women in headscarves) to be aware about vigilante attacks, and that Muslim groups have already received threatening emails.

edit: As I'm now the author of this (now the political bits have been moved over) I've PMed a mod to get the title changed to be less confusing. Thanks!

2. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I was already thinking about the Muslims who are visible Muslims. I feel very bad for them because they are sure to get harassment when something like this happens. Even when they've been upstanding, amazing citizens their whole lives. It's very unfair.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

The US went through the same thing after the 9/11 attacks - it's too bad that we assign blame to anyone with a similar racial profile to the terrorists, but I think it's human nature. We had an instance here (positive) where someone from our company was in NYC on the day of the attacks, and a Muslim taxi driver drove her home. To Chicago. Goes to show that stereotyping is seldom correct.

4. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Its particularly puzzling as the bombs have struck in muslim populous areas- Edgeware Road (alot of Lebonese there) and Aldgate (Bengalis). As a muslim myself, its horrid and I abhor the hypocracy of those who sympathise with Al-quida et al.

5. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Holy crap.

Talk about an act of kindness.

6. fitinferno macrumors 6502

As I said before...most of the Muslims in those areas have always been great, upstanding citizens. I.e., they are probably seen as the enemy as well.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Also the kind of geniuses who are most likely to harrass Muslims aren't likely to be able to distinguish Muslims from other ethnic or religious groups. I remember reading stories of Sikhs and Hindus being attacked. I'm sure the list goes on.

8. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I've seen the likes of Al-maharajoun (extremists) campaigning on Mile End road. I'd ask those ignorant twats what they think of their mates killing their own.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, AQ do know how to pick its dates. It's 7/7 today, I don't believe that's a coincidence...

10. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

After 9/11, a local Greek shop owner had someone throw bricks through his windows because they thought he was a terrorist. Tall, dark, moustache, must be a terrorist... Idiots.

11. dcv macrumors G3

that occurred to me too. 7 explosions on 7/7.

12. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Yes, it sucks that innocent people will suffer for these crimes. London is a multicultural centre. Chances are that some Muslims were hurt in these attacks. It won't matter to those that carry out vigilante retaliations by burning mosques, using abusive language, etc.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What's 7/7? Other than a not-very-good mixed drink.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a not-very-late-night convenience store.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Of course, it sucks when any innocent people are attacked. Greek, Muslim or otherwise, but I think that was everyone's point here.

16. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I think the number of explosions could have been planned, but I don't think the date is something that was planned other than the leaders who are having the G8 conference. I feel that had the G8 conference not been in the UK today, London would've gotten attacked some other time than now.

I think the terrorists were really trying to shake up the G8 and get attention on themselves instead of on the planned issues.

17. hob macrumors 68020

hob

In the same way that a tiny minority of muslims feel it is necessary to attack us, i'm sure a tiny minority of britains will feel it necessary to be total idiots and take it out on any muslims they see.

I'm reminded of the vigilante group who attacked a paedeotrician during the early 00's, confusing the term with paedophile...

Similarly yesterday a few idiots in Paris were all-but assaulting the TV team reporting from there - I thought "oh, the French are idiots", but no - just a the couple of dozen that were being idiots are...

18. Lau thread starter Guest

This was on the BBC website, i thought it was nice:

Yesterday, we were annoyed with Londoners and English people. London won the games and Paris lost them. And today we wake up. We realise that these little fights between old friends are for spoilt children. We are all facing a huge challenge. We have all to fight terrorism. We are all Londoners today. We all feel sad and share the pain of the one who are suffering today. Do not worry my friends, we will be with you in this fight and we will win it.
    Julien, Paris, France

19. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Hahah that was funny.

Even though 7/11 is 24 hour in most places isn't it?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

We should probably all take a moment to reflect on what it must have been like for the residents of Baghdad when the bombing started.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Those behind the attacks are no doubt hoping this will be the case – trying to divide communities and cause fear and mistrust. I think (and hope) that people on the whole are too intelligent to just equate Islam with terrorism, but all you need are a few idiots and you've got a serious problem on your hands.

Cool heads and clear minds are what's needed now.

22. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

totally. somone should lash tony blair and bushie II for each death that's been caused by this whole pathetic "war on terrorism"

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm going to say something that i suspect will be a bit controversial.

for those who cannot comprehend why someone would commit a terrorist act, consider that such a lack of understanding of what motivates people is a symptom of the disease that creates govermental/societal/political situations that lead to asymmetrical warfare such as terrorism in the first place.

we'll never be able to stop terrorism if we cannot understand the reasons that people do it.

anyone consider that today in london might be just another day in baghdad?

24. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

777. it's kinda the christian response to 666. the number of the lord. sheesh.

So, anyone wanna guess when the US gets their second spanking courtesy of al qaeda? it's BOUND to happen....and soon now i think. sad. sad. sad. we've really opened up a can of worms, haven't we, humans? sick pathetic greedy evil species we are.

25. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

true. my favorite "post-911" quote is "one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist"