London Calling, May 05

Discussion in 'Community' started by teabgs, Feb 28, 2005.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a room to let for the month of May. I'll be working in East London for 4 weeks starting on the 2nd. I've started to look for a flat on the web, but realized I should ask around here as well. Any advice on finding a flat in London, especially when you live in New York and can't actually see the place until you arrive?

Also, if you or someone you know might have a room I'd love to hear from you. I'll be working 5 minutes walk from the Bromley-by-Bow station so I'm looking for a relatively easy commute to there. The areas I'm considering right now are : Islington, City of London, Tower Hamlet, Wapping, Clerkenwell, Hackney, and Bethnal Green. Any comments on that? I commute 2 hours each way right now, so as long as the commute is an hour or less I'll be ecstatic.

Thanks for your help!

Also, if anyone wants to get together at some point I'm game. As of now I don't really know anyone in London until I meet people at work, so my nights and weekends are wide open. Except the last weekend in May, my girlfriend will be coming to visit before I come back to the states.

Take it easy.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

1. Be prepared to pay a sizable deposit and guard yourself against getting ripped off.
    2. Rents in London are very high.
    3. Avoid Hackney: it doesn't have a tube station.
    4. City (of London) doesn't have a huge amount of residential lettings.
    5. A reputable agency may be your best bet, especially for such a short-term let.

3. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

good lord that was a fast reply! I forgot to mention, I can pay up to £100 per week. I know London is expensive, but I'm used to it from New York :rolleyes:

Any advice on agents?

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    £100 a week won't go very far in London - especially if you want to live on your own.

When you start looking at specific properties, the
    Transport for London journey planner will be useful. It'll tell you what kind of trip you're looking at making for that address to your office address.

How would you ideally get to work? If you're looking to Tube it, avoid Hackney. If you'd be happy to cycle etc, then it might be worthwhile.

Stratford areas (as far as out to Leytonstone) might be worth looking closer at. It's on the Tube and has good night bus routes if you end up being out late. It's also got 2 lines (Central & Jubilee switching to District) that will get you to Bromley By Bow with a single change.

As far as agents? The ones I used years ago were a rip-off, charging exorbitant 'cleaning' fees etc at the end and needing crazy deposits. I had most success looking through Loot and there is a Craig's List that's reasonably active in London.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I can't advise on agents at all, I'm afraid.

You can try using www.loot.com, check the property/letting SE (south-east) section.

Also, don't ignore Stratford. It has very good transport connections...

Edit: Beaten to the best bits by Applespider :)

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Of course, if you wear a wig and call yourself Keira I know someone who'll only be too happy to put you up for a few weeks... :eek: :D

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

[​IMG]

8. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

:eek: !!!

actually, I already have long hair :D I can go by the name Keira for a few weeks as long as there's no touching involved! :p

9. iGav macrumors G3

Alright fella... :) so you managed to get a work placement place then. :) Where at?

As has been mentioned above, £100 doesn't go far in London for getting a flat, ESPECIALLY in the area's you've listed.

The biggest issue you'll have is that you're only over for a month, so if you want your own place you'll need a short let, and they're even more expensive.

Personally I think your best bet is to either try and get lodgings for a month in someones house, again check Loot.com for that but £100 a week might just get you a room in someones house/apartment.

Or, get in contct with the big London Universities and see if they have any spare rooms in their halls that you could arrange to rent for the month. I know they do this out of term time (late June/July/August) for a relatively modest sum, but you maybe might be able to get a room for May because some students will inevitably have dropped out by then, or on work placement etc. UCL have massive halls in W1 including Warren Street and just up by Euston so I'd drop them a line and see what they can offer or they might be able to suggest other alternatives.

Hope that's of some help.

10. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

I'd love to just get a room in someone's house. I don't need to live alone, and would prefer not to. I can't afford more because I'll still be paying my rent in New York in May AND in London. The two most expensive cities in the world!!

If I don't find a place then I'll have to stay in a hostel for a month, which is much less than ideal. I have seen some places in these areas for the money I have, but they're all available now and I doubt they still will be in May, let alone for a month lease.

I'm open to other areas not mentioned...if people have suggestions :)

I'll look into possible university housing. Thanks for that tip!

iGav: why'd you have to ask ;) Oh well, I knew someone would. I don't really want to say right now, just because I don't want to say anything I'm not currently allowed to, but it's a major feature film coming out this fall. I promise I'll let you know once I know it's ok.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You can tell us one night in the pub - that way there's nothing on paper! ;)

12. iGav macrumors G3

Do you know if any of your future colleagues might have a spare room for a month? might be worth checking.

You could also try contacting letting agencies to see if they have any houses that are currently let, but have rooms available in them for short let.

You've found flats for £100 a week in the places you listed??? :eek: that's good going... although at that price, something has to be sus with them at that price though.

I think that'd be your best bet to be honest, but you need to contact them now to find out if there is any availabilities or if you need to put your name down on a list, May might be a little early for there to be a huge numbers of rooms available so the sooner you contact them, the better your chances.

'cos I'm nosey like that :D

Working on a major feature film... in Bromley-by-Bow, I think I might now where you'll be at ;)

As for the film... I might have an idea on that as well. ;)

Look forward to hearing more though once it's safer to discuss it. :)

How's the work being going over there? you've been quiet the past few months.

G

13. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

Applespider: I will tell you at the pub :)

I dont know but will inquire. However, they may not so I want to cover all the bases.

As long as there is a bed! I'm packing light. Just me, my powerbook, some toiletries, and some clothes. I really just need a place to sleep, if I need to find a cafe or something to hang out in for 'net access that's fine, and I don't want to just go home and watch tv or anything...I can do that here. But I don't :p

I sent an email to UCL before I went to work today, so hopefully they get back to me.

I'd be interested to hear what you think. you may very well be able to figure it out. I've left enough clues that anyone who knows a little about what productions are being done in london, and where in london they are being produced can figure it out. It's not like I WANT to hide it, I'm very proud of it. send me a pm. I wonder if you know anyone working on it?

Works been going pretty well. Theres enough to pay the bills...but I'm looking forward to leaving for London! That's why I haven't really been around. As I said before I commute 4 hours every day so that cuts out any MR time. Plus we don't have our own computers at work (it's a traditional animation studio where most of the work is still done on paper) so if I went on MR everyone would know. Then I'd get fired if it was a lot and not during lunch :p Not sure what I'll be doing when I get back, there's a few possibilities, but no official offers yet. I might have to move from NYC for one of them, so that could be interesting....in a good or bad way, I haven't decided yet.

If I start hanging around here a lot after May it means I got a boring job where I have my own computer, or I'm unemployed for a little too long.

How've things been with you?

14. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

Well.... I found a room in a home in highgate (I know it's a bit farther than I was looking) through a friend of a friend for £100 pw. It can be done. :D

And I'll have net access for my powerbook which is a very nice bonus! See ya'll on May 1st :eek:

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Great! Highgate is very nice... there's a cemetery there with some famous graves including Karl Marx.

16. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Man, now that you got a room... can I crash on the floor for a few days in early May? I'm trying to get tickets to go see Cream play at Albert Hall...

Lee Tom

17. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

Get an extra ticket and we'll talk ;)

BLUE VELVET: Yes, I did know about the cemetery. I will visit it this time. I never made it that far north on my previous london trips, but I hear it's very nice.

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I live in Bow, about a 20 minute walk from Bromley-By-Bow station. I rent out a room in my flat for £400 pcm, but it's let, worse luck. Bow is a reasonable place to live. It's a bit cheaper than a lot of the places you listed, but it's safe and got great transport links.