London Olympics could cost £9bn

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Feb 23, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

- BBC

One word: :eek:

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They ALWAYS underestimate the cost of hosting the Olympics. Either the planners are retarded, or they already knew they were understating the cost to the public, and would need to make an announcement like this later.

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

4. PreacherKane macrumors 6502

I'll put a couple of quid in the pot, if they give me a medal. I'm not too fussy, Bronze will do.:D
    More than likely it will be a stealth tax, something under the radar.

Support Your Local Musician on MacRumors.com:apple: :D

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I work for a deaf theater company, and this is highly likely to affect us. We're making strategic plans against the possibility of drastic cuts in the Arts Council grants over the next few years as the govt raids everyones pots to pay for the Olympics.

Welcome to London 2012, a cultural wasteland with community schemes everywhere slashed and burned.

6. Queso macrumors G4

In the UK they always deliberately understate the cost of anything involving public money. Otherwise it just doesn't get the go ahead. The Channel Tunnel was supposed to cost £2 milliard, ended up costing £11 milliard. The same thinking has been applied to the Olympics is my reckoning.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sign the petition

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Defend-funding/

:)

8. zami macrumors regular

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Thanks Blue Velvet, tho I suspect it will make as much difference as pissing in a chocolate teapot and calling it Stella.

I think that scrapyard and disused shed is the exact view from the media company my sister-in-law works at. Must have been taken in the same building or the next one over.

I've also been to some squat raves in some of these disused buildings. Mmmm, memories, that was many years ago.

Most of these sites in the photos have been or are being cleared up now, ready for rebuilding.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Can you imagine that New York wanted to do this.:rolleyes:

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

differences:

New York: most likely on time and near budget

London: 2 years late, 20% over budget. to complete on time: 80% over budget.

:rolleyes:

I can't stand the state of this country when it comes to building and staging things. even my bloody uni can't get it right - the Scottish Swimming Academy - where 4 of the UK's last olympic team trained - isn't officially olympic size, because the contractors finished it 3mm (yes, mm) too short.

And then asked for £50,000 to put right something that should have been correct in the first place..

12. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Has anyone completely switched opinions on the Olympic bid? When we won it, I was very enthusiastic. I basically thought Olympics = good thus Olympics in London should be great.

Could this £9bn not have been better spent elsewhere? Is the Olympics really gonna balance that enormous cost with huge benefits for the local community and further afield? As far as I can tell, if the Olympics transforms Stratford for the better, the area will become more attractive, prices will go through the roof and those who have had to put up with the hassle whilst he Olympics was taking place will probably be priced out of the area. If it changes Stratford for the worse, then obviously the £9bn has not been well spent.

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The question is will Wembley be ready by 2012? ;)

14. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I think that is a lot of money, but i thoug it would have been more.

15. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

No.

:D

16. Queso macrumors G4

Yep. 20:12 on the 14th May 2017 :)

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

18. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I'd just like to point out that -- with a few renovations like reinstalling the running track -- Los Angeles could host the Games again for peanuts. All of the previous facilities are still there and more. But I suppose that it's too soon to give another Olympics to the hyperpower. :p

19. Queso macrumors G4

Saying that, so could Sydney and Athens when you think about it. Not sure if I'd want it to go back to Atlanta though. Wasn't the best advert really was it...;)

20. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I've always thought that Atlanta winning the bid was proof that the bribery investigations came too late. :rolleyes:

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Boston: A few years late, and 521% over budget

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Whats a couple of extra bucks? :p ;) :D